hard wired through router

exnavy8285

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I just switched to Comcast where I'm paying for 150mpbs I bought a 100 ft 5e Ethernet cable and before routing the cable through the wall and down the garage and under the house I just hooked it up through the house to see the difference in speed from wireless to hard wired I got about 34mbps through wireless then I hard wired it through the router I did a speedtest man I got a 179mbps I was like yeah, I took the test a few times same thing, then I installed the Ethernet cable like I said I was, and after I put it through the wall , down through the garage, then under the house then up to the router I did another speed test I get a 94-95 mbps why the drop off? I'm still happy with 95mbps but I'm just wondering why the drop off in speed. thanks

Solution
The in-wall cables are called plenum, they are designed to be more fire resistant and produce less smoke when burned. You actually need to use them to meet building codes from what I remember reading. The cat6 stuff may help, but 5e should be fine also, 6 should have better crosstalk control.
Make sure you are not using a 100MB port on the router or the computer is not set to 100 instead of 1 gig speeds. 100ft should not have any drop off in speed, but you may have interference from something, did you use a cable designed for use inside walls and made sure it's not next to power wires?

exnavy8285

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015

I installed cat5e I just ordered cat6 do you think that will be better? and what are the Ethernet cables called the ones you install through walls? I read a lot of people problems on here about slow speeds I guess I shouldn't complain cause I am getting 95mbps but I did get 179mbps before I put them through the walls and under the house

The in-wall cables are called plenum, they are designed to be more fire resistant and produce less smoke when burned. You actually need to use them to meet building codes from what I remember reading. The cat6 stuff may help, but 5e should be fine also, 6 should have better crosstalk control.

Solution