Have a new blue ray player with hdmi and digital audio output

something like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2 can decode and pass the hdmi video signal along to your tv while decoding and sending out two rca analog signals to older receivers.

however do realize this would only get you stereo sound (rca red and white can ONLY transmit stereo sound).

if you want full surround sound from sources i would suggest a newer receiver which can accept hdmi or optical.

Gary Hollandbeck

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

Gary Hollandbeck

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
Earlier I bought a new receiver and could not connect the sound from the player to the receiver. The receiver did not have a digital sound input, only an hdmi input. That discouraged me. I took it back. The receiver did not have an hdmi output, so I still could not connect it to the TV hdmi input. So the new receiver would not help.

Gary Hollandbeck

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

Gary Hollandbeck

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

Gary Hollandbeck

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I don't remember but in thinking again, I connected from hdmi out on the player to the hdmi in on the receiver and then connected from the hdmi out on the receiver to the hdmi in on the TV but I still couldn't get any sound from my receiver to the speakers.