have shelf system, want sub for more sound

psycher1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello. I have a small TEAC DV-C200 micro system. It does a number of things I don't care about, I only use it for aux out from my computer (inherited it from my sister)

These speakers, for what they are, are amazingly loud. Only 30w total (2*15) and I can hear it over my cranked 2x12 @ 80W guitar amp.

However, I'm a bit disappointed in it's bass range. I'd like to add a sub to the system, but TEAC never offered a specific model for the speakers. But, there is a subwoofer preamp-out.

I really don't want to flood out the sound with something too powerful, yet I'd really like something that could handle the bass frequencies a bit better. Also, money's a concern so if I have something that fits right in, there's a plus.

That said, considering the speakers are only 15w each, what should I look for in a powered subwoofer?

Also, quickly: does the computers Aux output contain more than 2.0 channels? My motherboard should handle 6 channels but it only has the headphone style in/out/mic. This I know nothing about.

Solution
You probably don't need a sub with more than a 8" or 10" speaker. The issue is the quality of the bass and that will cost you some money as most subs are as you say "wub wub". Check out Paradigm subwoofers. Their higher models have an optional room correction system that gets the sub flat in your room. I use the Monitor Sub8 under my desk and while it was good without the room correction it is fantastic with it. If your budget is more limited Polk is not bad but if may not be as tight as you want. You could also upgrade the main speakers with ones that have better bass extension.
If your mobo handles 5.1 channels it will have 3 connections for audio output (L/R front, L/R rear, Center/Sub)

psycher1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Oh I suppose I should say what I want to use it for.
I do NOT want massive bass. No wub wub.
I want a more flat response than I have. I'd like to be able to re-create music with a noticeable bass (as in the instrument) presence. And in games, it only adds depth. I am a sound guy more than anything. I'd like something nice, but as I said, I don't want my entire system to sound like it's underwater.

You probably don't need a sub with more than a 8" or 10" speaker. The issue is the quality of the bass and that will cost you some money as most subs are as you say "wub wub". Check out Paradigm subwoofers. Their higher models have an optional room correction system that gets the sub flat in your room. I use the Monitor Sub8 under my desk and while it was good without the room correction it is fantastic with it. If your budget is more limited Polk is not bad but if may not be as tight as you want. You could also upgrade the main speakers with ones that have better bass extension.
If your mobo handles 5.1 channels it will have 3 connections for audio output (L/R front, L/R rear, Center/Sub)

Solution