HD 215 special narrow cable replacement

Term

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello,
Sennheiser HD 215 with 3m removable twirly cable - replacement. Narrow opening on headphones means most 3.5 cable coverings are too big to fully insert plug.

Solution
Hi!

I have the same problem as you and the Sennheiser website is completely useless!! I've been looking for an official Sennheiser replacement cable for ages, it seems like it's always out of stock or made by dodgy third party companies. However, I found this website today http://www.sennheiserspares.com/index_files/Cables.htm and I've just emailed to ask whether they have it in stock and whether it is a genuine Sennheiser....
If since your post you found a good place to buy a replacement cable, I would be grateful if you could share :)
Think your kind of confused, any plug can be drilled out to accommodate cable. Any hole can also be drilled out.
But if you had the right sized cable, you would not be experiencing this problem. Sounds like a replacement cable from sennheiser would be the thing to order.

Term

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

soundguruman, if you had HD 215 headphones you would know that there is an internal ridge that prevents proper drilling out without damaging the inner 3.5mm socket.
And yes, if I had the right sized cable then I wouldn't be experiencing this problem - brilliant, thanks.
Replacement cable from Sennheiser? If I could have found that on their site I wouldn't be posting here. So can anyone point me to where that part number is found?
I apologize for being a bit tetchy, soundguruman, but stating the bleeding obvious does not help.

angelinblue

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi!

I have the same problem as you and the Sennheiser website is completely useless!! I've been looking for an official Sennheiser replacement cable for ages, it seems like it's always out of stock or made by dodgy third party companies. However, I found this website today http://www.sennheiserspares.com/index_files/Cables.htm and I've just emailed to ask whether they have it in stock and whether it is a genuine Sennheiser....
If since your post you found a good place to buy a replacement cable, I would be grateful if you could share :)

Solution

Term

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

Thanks muchly angelinblue, though they are a bit pricey for headphone cables.
Anyways, since the last post I purchased a small $A5 male/female 200mm cable and filed back a 5mm 'length' both 'sides' of the plastic around the male end so that it is right back to 6mm at its narrowest 'diameter'. Looks like a flattened circle to fit between those internal infernal ridges.
End on it looks like this...
__
(__)

The plug penetrates 20mm into the headphone housing so there's around 5mm 'length' of filing back + 15mm of the actual metal plug = 20mm.
I just keep this little cable permanently in the headphones and then plug a standard male/male cable into the female end.
This has the advantage of not wearing out the headphone socket.
A bit fiddly but not that difficult. An angle-grinder can file this back accurately in a few seconds . Good luck!!

angelinblue

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

Hey there!

Yes I know those cables are kinda pricey! But I wonder whether the sound quality is affected if a cheaper cable is used, have you noticed any notable difference with your headphones?
Otherwise I will just pick up an audio cable from the local electronics shop and do the same as you.

Term

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

Headphones still sound as good to me. Personally i think the whole expensive/oxygen-free thing is a bit over-rated. As long as there is at least 100grams contact force, don't combine oxidizing tin plugs with gold sockets etc. Also bear in mind that mp3s/aac are compressed, drop bits and are less than hi-fi anyway.