Hd smart tv to older coax cable box

gettinthere

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
New Samsung hd smart tv with coax input will not receive signal from analog Comcast box. Have been trouble shooting with both Samsung and Comcast for a week. Everybody says their product is working. Somebody's wrong. One Comcast tech said would only work w/hd box and service which I was trying to avoid (Comcast gets way too much of my $ now). Another said that's wrong info. Older hd works fine with same type of box. Now Comcast is insisting on a service call as the only solution. Aaagh!!! Help, please.
(Am more of a tv "listener" than demander of high quality video. Old set is fine for me)

Solution
Your old cable box will have a coax RF output (chan 3 or 4 analog) and composite video and audio outputs. I would use the composite video (yellow RCA cable) and audio (red and white RCA cable). Your TV may have a shared component/composite video input so you would have to select composite in the TV menu. The owners manual would have details.
If you try to use the coax out then you would have to connect it to the RF tuner input on the TV and run a channel scan ) with the box turned on. The tuner may not detect the analog output on 3 or 4 but no harm in trying. Without a scan no channels could be selected.
OK guy, you don't want to give Comcast an extra penny and I am with you, but at the end, you may have no choice.

If this "analog Comcast box" is indeed what is labeled, then it's intended for older ANALOG TV and won't work with modern Digital TV. If I recall correctly we switched to digital back in 2009, how old is this TV? Do you have the manual, can you download the manual. If the TV says ATSC QAM then it's a DIGITAL TV, which will only works with a new Digital Set-top box you are trying to avoid.

The analog Comcast box is sending you analog RF signal on channel 3/4, you maybe able to buy an old analog tuner (INPUT) and say Component or S-Video or Composite Video (OUTPUT) to your new TV, as long as you are aware, once Digital is converted to Analog, you lose quality and it may end up unacceptable anyway.

Maybe resistance is futile.

gettinthere

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

Your old cable box will have a coax RF output (chan 3 or 4 analog) and composite video and audio outputs. I would use the composite video (yellow RCA cable) and audio (red and white RCA cable). Your TV may have a shared component/composite video input so you would have to select composite in the TV menu. The owners manual would have details.
If you try to use the coax out then you would have to connect it to the RF tuner input on the TV and run a channel scan ) with the box turned on. The tuner may not detect the analog output on 3 or 4 but no harm in trying. Without a scan no channels could be selected.

Solution