HDD and Disk drive cant be found in UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel_228

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
I can't seem to narrow down what I need to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on my laptop. Brief history:
-Bought HP G7-2235dx for my wife.
-She hated windows 8
-I formatted the hard drive, set Bios to Legacy mode, install fresh Windows 7
-I upgraded it to windows 10 but can't use Uefi now
So at this point I want to install a fresh copy of windows 10 in Uefi mode. The PC will not recognize the hard drive without Legacy mode enable. It also will not recognize the disk drive I am guessing because I have set it to UEFI mode and arranged boot priority and it does not find it.
I can turn on Legacy mode but I am guessing that if I install windows 10 again while in Legacy mode I will be right back where I started.
How do I allow myself to turn on UEFI, and have the HDD and the internal disk drive visable at this point?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Solution
I solved this as follows (NOTE: I wanted the drive as a second drive, not a boot drive). Find a machine which boots in legacy mode. Install the HDD in a USB caddy and connect to the machine using Legacy Mode (as a second, non-boot drive). Format the HDD in NTFS mode. It was then recognised by a machine in UEFI mode. (To make it a boot drive, I guess that you then use a clean Windows 10 install)

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Joel_228 : "What do I need?"

4ellboy

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I have an identical problem: (separate thread): I have a Crucial MX200 which I'm trying to install as a second (internal) drive, but it was built in Legacy mode and isn't visible when the machine is in UEFI mode. And the mSATA HDD installed in the machine isn't bootable from Legacy mode (although the internal mSATA is visible as a data drive if I boot in legacy mode).
Like Joel_228, I need to rebuild the MX200 from Legacy to UEFI; but when I boot in UEFI mode the MX200 drive isn't visible (same results whether I connect it internally or externally via USB). See this thread, where people very actively engaged to help https://techguy.org/1184572 . Good luck, and please let me know if you find the answer and I will do likewise

4ellboy

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I solved this as follows (NOTE: I wanted the drive as a second drive, not a boot drive). Find a machine which boots in legacy mode. Install the HDD in a USB caddy and connect to the machine using Legacy Mode (as a second, non-boot drive). Format the HDD in NTFS mode. It was then recognised by a machine in UEFI mode. (To make it a boot drive, I guess that you then use a clean Windows 10 install)

Solution

martin.matta

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hi guys, my sollution is bit complicated, but works for me:

I had the same problem, in legacy I was able to see new SSD, but I was not able to boot Windows 10 installer, but in UEFI I was not able to see it.

For my sollution you will need to have 2x USB - one with GPT partition scheme installed ubuntu by rufus and next one with Windows 10 installation disk

What I did was simple boot to ubuntu in UEFI settings in BIOS (don`t forget to change settings before installation) and run installation of ubuntu to new disk (ubuntu can see my disk). During installation to disk, ubuntu asked for conversion of disk to UEFI and then just continue with installation. Once done, you can turn off and check BIOS again - voilaa there is your new disk with ubuntu boot loader.

Next steps are easy. Reset computer, insert windows 10 installation usb and clean all partitions on new disk. Create completely new partition on it (windows installer will make another 2, but don`t worry) and continue installation. Yeah, and at the end of this process, you will be able to boot to Windows 10 on new M2 SSD :)

I hope you enjoy ;-)

Reactions: Ruca.m
Aug 24, 2018
Hi,
Just create a bootable USB by Rufus choosing "partition scheme" MBR and "Target system" BIOS or UEFI with Windows 8 or 10 IOS. And then simple boot to Windows 10 in UEFI settings in BIOS. You should good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.