I have a funny feeling my HDD is dying.

I really just posted this as a second opinion.

Now,

Yesterday my laptop completely turned off randomly without a shut down screen or anything. It was like like ripping out the battery.

I looked in event viewer where I found a few occasions where the ESENT error has occured but it's also littered with disk and NTFS errors which makes me thing the HDD is on the way out.

I've checked in CDI and found the drive has done close on 10,000 hours and is on caution status although it has been for over a year now.

The cautionaries are the Reallocated sectors count and the current pending sector count.

According the event viewer this is the ESENT error:
"SettingSyncHost (5984) {4AF54264-CEF9-48B2-85FF-F519360E21E8}: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\*USER*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\metastore\edb.log" at offset 286720 (0x0000000000046000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (36 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 28 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem."

Thanks for your help. Are you thinking the same thing?

Solution
Yeah, unfortunately, the HDD is failing indeed. Even though the drive has just 9 bad sectors, they would eventually continue to appear, until it becomes inaccessible.
You can't really know when it is about to fail. It could be in a couple of days, or it could last for months or even years. It is just unreliable.

My suggestion would be to get a new, reliable drive and use this one for storing non important data. For example, you can grab an external enclosure and use it as an external.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Hamperking68,

Can you post a screenshot of the SMART report? You can test it with some third party tool that can provide that.

Apart from that, you should really back up the data stored on the drive. Both Reallocated Sectors count and Pending Sectors count could are associated with bad sectors. This means that the HDD could fail at any time.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Yeah, unfortunately, the HDD is failing indeed. Even though the drive has just 9 bad sectors, they would eventually continue to appear, until it becomes inaccessible.
You can't really know when it is about to fail. It could be in a couple of days, or it could last for months or even years. It is just unreliable.

My suggestion would be to get a new, reliable drive and use this one for storing non important data. For example, you can grab an external enclosure and use it as an external.

Cheers,

Solution

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Well, it could be. We can't know for sure. In most cases, when your OS HDD is failing, you will get a BSOD saying that there is no bootable device, but not a complete shutdown.
Similar shutdowns could be observed when the system is overheating. Was there any fan spinning? You can measure the system's temps I guess.

Once you back up your data, I believe you can run disk check and see if the issue persists.