securedigit

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm writing this after failing to find an answer to my problem. I have purchased recently an SSD (Transcend model TS128GSSD370S), which I have inserted into the optical bay (DVD) of my notebook. I used Macrium Reflect to clone part of the HDD's OS (including reserved partition, system partition, and the primary (OS) partition) which all fit nicely into the SDD, by the way.

After completing the cloning process I restarted my PC went to the BIOS settings now that I can see under the BOOT tab the priority list for the HDD and SDD, I set the priority to SDD, saved and exited It worked fine, I get into Windows Desktop and all things seems all just fine. However, when I restart the PC it seems the PC does not boot back to Windows Desktop but rather I get directed to the insert proper media device message, is like the PC is not recognizing the SSD. When I try to boot override (by selecting the SSD) I get directed from BIOS to a screen when windows saying loading files with the white progress bar, but again it fails and it asks me to load a proper booting device. Another thing, when attempt another boot override I get to the option of windows repairing or start windows normally, which obviously the second option won't work and the repair does not go anywhere. Nothing works at this point. So please advice.

Some details:
1- BIOS: ASUS K46CM 204
2- The HDD has another partition, containing my files, but that was not included during cloning.
3- Closing Software: Macrium Reflect
4- SSD: Transcend model TS128GSSD370S
5- OS Windows 7
6 AHCI is set in BIOS
7- No other devices were connected like UBS or anything during installations or after.

Thank you!

Solution
Hey there again, securedigit!

I doubt that the cloning has something to do with that. I'd recommend you to check your BIOS settings again and make sure everything is properly set.
Check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard and also the SSD's firmware (http://www.storagereview.com/how_upgrade_ssd_firmware ).
Make sure the Hot Plug is enabled on your SATA ports from BIOS and also the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - it should be located in the advanced boot settings.

Keep me posted! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, securedigit!

I'd recommend you to try using a different cloning software and see if things will work out properly then. I'd even suggest you to use this guide for the step-by-step, so that things run smoothly: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows
Here's a thread from the forum with some other cloning software suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1848564/hdd-cloning-software.html

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

securedigit

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Dear SuperSoph_WD,

Thank you for your kind reply! I haven't tried your suggestions, but will do soon This is what I have done since yesterday though, I disconnected the HDD and left the SDD into the optical bay. Restarted the PC and I was able to login to the Desktop, restarted the PC again and I was directed to the BIOS setting page which showed no priority list of drives (no optical, no HDD, no nothing), pressed ALT + CTRL + DEL and with this it booted to the Windows like normal. And the cycle of restarting the PC gives the same problem which will be solved by doing the previous steps. Do you think this is still a cloning issue or what else could this be?

Thank you!

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there again, securedigit!

I doubt that the cloning has something to do with that. I'd recommend you to check your BIOS settings again and make sure everything is properly set.
Check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard and also the SSD's firmware (http://www.storagereview.com/how_upgrade_ssd_firmware ).
Make sure the Hot Plug is enabled on your SATA ports from BIOS and also the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - it should be located in the advanced boot settings.

Keep me posted! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

securedigit

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
SuperSoph_WD, thanks for the help. I updated the BIOS to the latest version and the issue disappeared. Now BIOS recognized the priority list (bootable drives) just perfectly. Thanks once again!