HDMI board on LG TV gone, want to connect Apple TV with RBG but no sound

feijoa

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
The HDMI ports on my LG TV stopped working and now just show "no signal". I don't want to buy a new TV yet, so got a RGB converter (because I like the higher quality HD) and a digital audio cable to transmit the sound. Tested Apple TV and HDMI cables - all fine.

I have plugged the Apple TV into the RGB converter, and an RGB-RGB cord connects it to the TV. Great picture but no sound. I have a digital audio cable going between the TV and the Apple TV and that didn't work either.

I followed some instructions on the Apple TV website regarding setting the audio options manually, but those didn't work either.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Solution
I suspect that your TV doesn't have a digital audio INPUT associated with the RGB video connection. It probably has digital audio OUTPUT which won't work for you. Likely you will need to get an analog audio output from your Apple TV to get sound on the TV. Check the manual if you can't find an audio input connection (either 2 RCA jacks or 1 mini jack).
I suspect that your TV doesn't have a digital audio INPUT associated with the RGB video connection. It probably has digital audio OUTPUT which won't work for you. Likely you will need to get an analog audio output from your Apple TV to get sound on the TV. Check the manual if you can't find an audio input connection (either 2 RCA jacks or 1 mini jack).

Solution

feijoa

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

You're right, thanks. It's an LG LE8900 TV

The digital audio is only an output, that hadn't occurred to me, I assumed it was two way. There is a RGB DVI audio in which is free though. Do I need another digital to analog converter like with the HDMI to RGB I have done with the video, or do I just need a digital to RGB/DVI input (if such a thing exists!)

Is this the sort of thing I need with the audio jack on the back? http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-including-transmission-line-out-Converter-adapter-black/dp/B00PU1BADK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

To the WyomingKnott, yes, this stuff has played before, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Thanks