HDMi Cable Compatability issues

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi,
I recently bought this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B019MH2JQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 HDMi cable.
When I try using it to connect to my Sony TV from my laptop the display is detected but no video signal gets through. However if i use a different HDMi cable to connect the same laptop and TV it works as expected.
Furthermore if i use the new HDMi cable to connect my laptop to an old computer monitor i have, it works.

To summarize:
- new HDMi cable + Sony TV doesn't work
- stock HDMi cable + Sony TV works
- new HDMi cable + old computer monitor works

I have tried restarting and various HDMi ports as well as multiple laptops and the results are the same. If anyone has any ideas for what is causing this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also this is the TV Model in question - Sony KDL50W800C 50-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
[strike]Managed to "fix" the issue by unplugging the Apple TV input from the Sony TV[/strike]

Seems I spoke too soon, I got it working one time, but after disconnecting the cable and reconnecting I can no longer get things to work at all

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Alright I think I figured it out for real this time
After a couple hours of testing with various monitors and pc's I am able to consistently get video to display on the TV.
The root cause is the cable direction, since the HDMi cable is 75 ft long it requires a booster, unfortunately I did not realize that the booster only operates in one direction, so switching the cable around fixes the issue.