HDMI Cable Question. Was PC-Richard and Son trying to con me?????

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
For TV and movie pleasure, I have a LG (Life's Good!) 55" LED 1080p 240mhz 3D TV. I'm having my living room redone with the removal of the carpet and using this opportunity to mount the TV. The PC Richard salesmen was trying to sell me a Generations HDMI 12" cable and to my amazement, these cables now have "speeds" on them? 13.3, 16.7, and 10.2GBPS. 3D internet ready..... (see link)

http://www.pcrichard.com/Generations/Generations-12-HDMI-13-8Gbps/X6112.pcrp

He said that because my TV is 240mhz and 3D; this would be the best choice and effects picture. Is this true or is this a scam?

Presently, my TV is attached to a HDMI cable I bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
In general a HDMI cable not working right can result in video/audio cut outs.

The only issue here is sometimes a cable/satellite provider can have similar issues.

Testing with a bluray player would ensure things are working.

Now since the signal is 100% digital, do not expect an audio/video difference from one working cable to another because digital does not work that way.

If you had very sensitive equipment shorter cables may work more reliably. Many times the issue is not the cable bandwidth but a connection issue or HDCP or other hand shake issue. If you have any of these issues, video would cut out as well. This adds a bit to the troubleshooting of cables(and explains why some cables work on one device and not another.).

Also...

nukemaster

Distinguished
Your existing cable already lists support for all the things you need(hell it lists 4k @ 60hz).

It is important to know that not all TV's that are 240hz take a 240hz signal. Many may take 60/120(3D) and the TV's scaling engine will create the extra frames to increase the smoothness of on screen images.

The data rate of the cables comes from increasing the clock speed of the signal(being based on DVI, it had a rather low clock rate because DVI used 2 links to get more data. HDMI being single link increased the clock rate to allow more data). for normal 1080p the signal of normal HDMI is just fine. for 3d having the is faster signal would be required to send higher frame rates. They have so many different ways to send 3D(frames that are 2x as wide or 2x the frame rate).

Either way for normal day to day, you would have no issues at all with even a older HDMI cable since it already has the needed bandwidth for 1080/1200p(the max single link resolution before increasing the clock speed) @ 60hz(the TV will take care of the rest)

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanks guys. Thanks nukemaster, it looks like you saved me $100 from buying that as I told him I was going to check on Amazon to see what the cable is actually labeled as I bought it 2 yrs ago. Even hinting to him that I go to Amazon for shopping lol :)

nukemaster

Distinguished
In general, as long as the cable is good and the connectors are not cheap, normal TV duty should be fine with most cables.

If you had issues, then looking at cables is an idea.

In general a middle ground cable will do fine. too cheap and the contacts are not always that good and too expensive can be a waste of money. Digital signals do not get effected like analog did. you get perfect or bad(blanks or maybe blocking), not slightly sharper with better cables or anything like that.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Out of curiosity, how would I know if the Amazon HDMi cable I have is not cutting it even though it's rated as a fine one? What warning signs are there?.

nukemaster

Distinguished
In general a HDMI cable not working right can result in video/audio cut outs.

The only issue here is sometimes a cable/satellite provider can have similar issues.

Testing with a bluray player would ensure things are working.

Now since the signal is 100% digital, do not expect an audio/video difference from one working cable to another because digital does not work that way.

If you had very sensitive equipment shorter cables may work more reliably. Many times the issue is not the cable bandwidth but a connection issue or HDCP or other hand shake issue. If you have any of these issues, video would cut out as well. This adds a bit to the troubleshooting of cables(and explains why some cables work on one device and not another.).

Also, I am not sure they are trying to con you. They may well have been trained this way and not know much different OR maybe have been trained in analog video. Cables could make a noticeable difference in analog video.

Solution

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

nukemaster

Distinguished
You would almost have to test with a known source.

I do not think stutter in the image would be a bad cable.

It is also important to know that since most film is shot at a different frame rate(23.xx or 29.xx). the TV's engine has to work with this. At some point you may have a double frame(same frame 2 times). This may be part of the issue.

The reason I mention this is that many users on computer notice this exact issue when watching DVD's. Since the computer screen is 60hz and the dvd is shot at this different frame rate(23.976), the computer has to compensate for this and sometimes has to display the same frame one time more(or even skip to the next frame early.) to keep things in sync.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Yeah, it's something like that where the picture studders and seems like it wants to catch up. Thanks a lot!

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

WHen it doesnt stutter, the picture is sexy :) I do have to check to see if LG fixed this. I totally forgot that I switched my Verizon FIOS internet to Quantum which were different routers. I think my TV was still looking for the old router.