HDMI DVD to Older Sony Receiver

psyounce

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I recently purchased a Sony DVPSR510H DVD player, connecting to my Vizio HDTV and Sony STR-DE997 receiver. There is no optical port on the DVD player. The DVD-TV connection is with the HDMI cord, the DVD-Receiver connection is using coaxial cable to the receiver's assignable port. I see the video on the TV, however there is no sound through the receiver to the speakers.

I'm using Roku for television - the Roku-TV connection is optical cable and audio is through the receiver/speakers.

What could I be missing for the DVD audio connection?

I will guess that you need to go into the DVD menu and turn on the coax digital audio output.
The more usual way to connect your components is to use HDMI to get picture and sound to the TV.
Connect the audio output of the TV to the receiver. That way you don't have to change inputs on the receiver.
If your TV doesn't have digital audio out or doesn't pass surround sound then your way of doing it is fine.

I will guess that you need to go into the DVD menu and turn on the coax digital audio output.
The more usual way to connect your components is to use HDMI to get picture and sound to the TV.
Connect the audio output of the TV to the receiver. That way you don't have to change inputs on the receiver.
If your TV doesn't have digital audio out or doesn't pass surround sound then your way of doing it is fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
D Streaming Video & TVs 4
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2