hdmi splitter damage my projector hdmi port?

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
my Epson projector worked properly until I use hdmi splitter 2x1 . Projector recognize hdmi signal only when I connect my projector to this adapter with another one monitor. Works as a mirror. When I shut down another monitor then the hdmi signal lost. I can' t use my projector with one source without hdmi splitter anymore . Has anyone any idea about this issue?

Hello.
First of all, splitting HDMI is not easy to do. Is it a quality splitter? Or a cheap one?

If your projector works using the splitter, then there's absolutely no way your HDMI input is damaged. It is either the cable, switch, splitter or the source video.
Routing a wire directly from your HDMI out of your video source, then plugging it in the projector will show an image.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hello! Thank you for your prompt response . The problem is that. Projector is not recognize hdmi signal directly from the video source. Projector works only with the hdmi splitter.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hello again! I checked all cables. I totally reset my Epson tw 490 and projector is married the splitter from ebay "Gold-plated HDMI 1 HDMI male to2 HDMI female Splitter Cable out Adapter for HDTV "

This splitter cable does not allow you to plug more than one monitor at a time. It is not a true splitter, it only is a splice of sorts:

Look at the specs:
a. Only 1 output device should be active at any time unless both of the 2 display devices share the same size and model.
b. Does NOT work on TV box/cable box (e.g. Roku, Apple TV box, etc.) Do not Support HDCP. Do not Support MACBOOK.
c. When a female plugged in the HDMI cable, the other female, please do not plug the HDMI cable. If the product of the two HDMI female HDMI cable are plugged in, even when only one HDMI cable to connect the display, it cannot work, can cause signal output is not normal, there will be video, flash, do not work and so on.

I suggest trying a completely new splitter, such as this one: EBAY
If this doesn't solve your issue, that cheap splitter might have damaged something. I'd use another source and HDMI cable, without a splitter, and check the Projector with it.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Can splitter transfer data and change the projector's settings or install new firmware?
Thank you!

You're welcome! Please keep us posted until you solve your issues. ^^

And the answer is no, it should not be able to change any settings. And it cannot update the firmware at all through HDMI.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
what sources have you tried? IF you used the "menu based reset", it is unlikely to have reset "everything" as it only resets "menu items" to factory settings. The "hdmi internals" are not touched via that. You may need to find some "hard reset sequence"... again depending on what sources you have tried.

It is possible that the "hot plug detection" circuitry is not functioning properly.... again depending on what sources you have tried. Try getting around this by unplugging everything from power. Disconnect the hdmi at both ends (ie. source and sink). Then, plug in the power of both units (source and sink)... DO not turn them on. Then plug in the hdmi cable to both units (source and sink). Now turn on the projector, it should indicate / see that hdmi input IS available (ie. may be not grey out or something) but there is NO signal. If this doesn't happen, then you need to look closer at the projector hdmi port... :-( If things do look appropriate, then turn on the source... what happens at the projector now? any error description on screen ... no signal, invalid mode, mode unsupported, etc?

Lastly, take the "auto" of the "input signal" off and specifically set it.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hmm very strange. Source: Pc , dvd , tv box , laptop. Monitor:Epson tw 490. Aftet all i think there is one last thing to do ...Epson service. If hdmi port burned out why splitter can transfer images via hdmi port? Projector works like as a clone of another primary monitor

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
well with that many different sources, it is more likely a port issue.... BUT you didn't answer my questions that posed if you follow the sequence that I suggested.

The hdmi port isn't necessarily "burned out". There are control pins as indicated that cause certain actions as part of the protocol. IF those are not there, then the protocol will not function correctly. The reason is works in "mirror" is because the splitter is doing all the "work" to fulfill the control protocol part of which is helped by having the "other working display" complete things to the source.

Hello. For the Epson to work correctly, you need to be sure to select the correct settings in the menu. Check the Input menu on the projector. Is everything set to Auto ( select AUTO SETUP to on) ? Have you tried resetting these settings? (The reset choice on the bottom of the Signal menu)

Have you tested with another HDMI cable, directly to the projector from a DVD for example? If the projector works with the splitter, it WILL work standalone. If it doesn't, something is wrong with your cables without a doubt.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Yes,i follow the sequence that you suggested.I think your explanation for those "control pins" sounds very logical.Thank you very much!

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Projector can display images from laptop. Have you any idea what does these mean?

This means that there is nothing wrong with your projector. What is the other thing you connect to this projector? A DVD player? A game console?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
more than likely if NOW you are reporting that the computer works to the projector (not having a good problem definition does not help the forum very much), then you know that it has nothing to do with the splitter. What display "error" is shown when you try the other devices that you listed? Again, good information / observations will help.... just saying "this doesn't work, that doesn't" is basically of no value in "internet troubleshooting".

Further what did you do to get the computer to project??? since you reported previously that it didn't work.... very confusing.

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Any device connected to the projector via Splitter can not play anymore with projector directly with out the splitter. Projector works with out the splitter , directly via hdmi cable with all other devices

Panasonic blue ray display that error u73. That means bad cable . But the cable is perfect.

I connect projector with another dvd and everything is ok . Why? Because those dvd never conected with projector via splitter

I think some how that splitter loked the devises . I know sounds crazy. Projector works . Sourses Devises works. But can not cobine.

Are you using the same splitter as before? As I have said before, that splitter cannot work in your setup. It will not work in almost any setup. Your splitter can only work with one device at a time open. It will not work to connect a Blu-ray and a laptop together on one projector. It is not it's intended use.

Also, does that Panasonic Blu-ray work on another monitor or projector using HDMI? U73 is not a "bad cable" error, it is an improper handshake/connection error. Either it is incompatible with your projector, or simply defective. Your splitter may have broken your HDMI output, and it is very likely, since your splitter is the wrong device for your application.

If you have only one projector and multiple devices, what you need to use is an HDMI switch, not a splitter for your setup. Such as this:
HDMI Switch

Pa_2__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Thank you! Epson is not accept this issue because the projector play via their laptop. Technician said that the devise is ok . But the reality is different. It is working only with random devises . I said random because there is no any logical explanation for this issue. Epson suggest to me to change the board !!! 230 euro !!!

TRENDING THREADS