Solved! HDMI to VGA adapter powers off PC

Apr 28, 2018
I want to hook up a second monitor to my Toshiba Laptop. The monitor I have is VGA, so I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter from J5 Create.

When I plug it into the HDMI port my laptop powers down. No LED lights on the laptop. I tried it on a second computer (the same Toshiba model) and it did the same thing.

I sent the adapter back to the company and they said it tested okay. Got a second adapter from the same company and it did the same thing.

I have a Toshiba Laptop I7 with 12GB of memory running Windows 10.

Help!

One more thing!

When I plug the adapter in I do not have the monitor hooked up on the other end. Just the adapter.

Apr 28, 2018

Toshiba Satellite S855-S5165
j5Create JDA213

Apr 28, 2018

Thanks - I will give it a try. Did not come with an instruction sheet - unfortunately.

Apr 28, 2018

Yeah - I went there.
The instructions effectively say that it is plug and play. Plug it in. If audio is needed then use the audio port. If there isn't enough power use the power port. Does not say how you would tell if it needs more power.

So I tried all the different combinations possible of plugging the unit in.
Unit only
Unit with power (power first)
Unit with VGA cable connected - and power/no power

Does the same thing. My PC powers off immediately when the HDMI cable is plugged in. As I stated earlier it also happens on my wife's laptop - the same Toshiba model. We bought them at the same time. The drivers are all up to date.

Apr 28, 2018

As soon as I plug it in the PC powers off. Like a short happened and bam - no power. No LED's. Off! It's like the power button was pressed to turn the unit off. I have to press the power button to start it up again.

Seems like a hardware problem with the HDMI car din the laptop I think. Maybe this particular Toshiba and build date had bad cards.

With the adapter still connected to the laptop, when you press the power button, nothing happens. You don't have a card for the HDMI port, maybe the connector is the problem with this Toshiba series. The only way to know, is to test the adapter with another make or model of laptop.

Apr 28, 2018

The manufacturer did that. I sent it to them. They said it worked fine. Something is wrong on my end.