HDMI to VGA Converter

floresmgd

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Hi. I would like to ask how to fix HDMI port of my laptop. I have used it many times in different projector in our school, but yesterday it didn't work I thought my converter was broken so I tried to my co-teacher's laptop it worked. So I don't know if the port is broken or there's something wrong with the set-up settings in my laptop. Thank you.

Solution
Thank you for the added details. A few things about your computer:

1. The Lenovo IdeaPad 100 series is a very basic computer with a very affordable price tag. In fact, it's so basic and so "affordable" that it's not really designed to last for more than a year or so. Depending on the cost-of-living index of your country, this may sound somewhat arrogant, but this is how Lenovo has designed this laptop series.

2. I know I said 'more than 5 years old' earlier, but with very basic computers I regret to say that it is not uncommon for them to malfunction even after a little more than 1 year. This is most likely what happened with the HDMI port in your computer. Whether it's been knocked loose or some electrical connection no longer works...
What is the full model name of your computer, and how old is it?

If it's more than 5 years old, it could conceivably be a defective HDMI port - at some point this will happen, especially if you've been plugging and unplugging the HDMI port for several years (physical wear and tear).

You said the HDMI/VGA connection worked OK until yesterday. And the HDMI cable and the VGA adapter work OK with your teacher's computer:
1. Have you done anything out of the ordinary with your computer lately (including any physical activity that may have involved dropping or bumping it)?
2. Have you downloaded/installed any major or new software lately (Windows updates or third-party software)?

floresmgd

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

floresmgd

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBY. I just bought it last year(MAY 2016). I keep on plugging and unplugging the converter or adapter. OH NO!! I used to travel my laptop with me and bumped it sometimes but I only bring my laptop every Monday and leave it in school for the rest of weekdays and bring it home on Fridays. I didn't install or download major software. Thank you, Sir! Such a big help.

Thank you for the added details. A few things about your computer:

1. The Lenovo IdeaPad 100 series is a very basic computer with a very affordable price tag. In fact, it's so basic and so "affordable" that it's not really designed to last for more than a year or so. Depending on the cost-of-living index of your country, this may sound somewhat arrogant, but this is how Lenovo has designed this laptop series.

2. I know I said 'more than 5 years old' earlier, but with very basic computers I regret to say that it is not uncommon for them to malfunction even after a little more than 1 year. This is most likely what happened with the HDMI port in your computer. Whether it's been knocked loose or some electrical connection no longer works, I don't know, but it's clearly broken.

3. Product warranty for laptops differs from one country to the other, even with the exact same model, and you may have to locate the Lenovo Settings app to see if there's any left on your device. Hopefully, the laptop is still under warranty in which case I recommend that you contact Lenovo and ask them to fix the defective HDMI port.

4. If the warranty has expired, I afraid you have to buy another computer. Fixing this problem yourself is going to involve a lot of unscrewing and installing a new main board - in terms of time and money spent, it's going to be almost as expensive as buying a new computer.

Solution