HDMI will not appear, if not restarting PC

SneakLerd

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I got this problem with my laptop and TV. When I plug in my HDMI, all visuals appear. But no sound. For the sound to work, I need to restart my PC, log off will not work. When I look in playback devices, there is only my laptop speakers. I have enabled "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" in playback devices.
I have updated all my graphic and sound drivers with the use of device manager.

Tl;dr HDMI does not appear in playback devices, without restart of PC.

Solution
When you connect a PC to a TV the order you boot the PC and select the HDMI input on the TV affects how they "handshake".
It sound like in your case you need to turn the TV on and select the HDMI input that the PC is connected to before booting the PC.
Sometimes it might take 8-10 seconds for them to link.
Sometimes you can change the TV input and then back to the PC input.
It's tricky because the TV only looks for the source when the input is changes and the PC takes time to detect the TV and turn the output on. If the TV stops looking before the PC has turned the HDMI output on they don't find each other. It's a royal pain in the butt. It can even change over time as if there were a learning process.
I believe that the new HDMI...
When you connect a PC to a TV the order you boot the PC and select the HDMI input on the TV affects how they "handshake".
It sound like in your case you need to turn the TV on and select the HDMI input that the PC is connected to before booting the PC.
Sometimes it might take 8-10 seconds for them to link.
Sometimes you can change the TV input and then back to the PC input.
It's tricky because the TV only looks for the source when the input is changes and the PC takes time to detect the TV and turn the output on. If the TV stops looking before the PC has turned the HDMI output on they don't find each other. It's a royal pain in the butt. It can even change over time as if there were a learning process.
I believe that the new HDMI version that is coming out will be much better in this respect.

Solution