HDR TVs without much HDR content?

tiz___yab

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I'm not play games at all and I don't care about watching HDR contents. BUT I watch a lot 720p and FHD movies, also TV channels. still its worth to buy HDR TV?

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
How much do you plan to spend? A lot of cheaper HDR TV's really don't get bright enough to make good use of HDR content. There is a good amount of HDR and dolby vision content on netflix, amazon prime, and hulu nowadays. But of course if you don't plan to watch any HDR content its not worth spending extra on an HDR TV.

tiz___yab

Prominent
May 11, 2017

Well, at this moment, i don't have much access to streaming content, only YouTube and downloadable content + usual TV channels. but, you are right about 'it does not hurt to buy a cheap HDR TV anyway.'

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
I wouldn't buy a cheap HDR TV not for HDR anyway. Like I said a lot of cheap HDR tv's don't get bright enough or have the color gammut to prperly display HDR content. They just like to slap "HDR Capable" on the box for marketing reasons, on a lot of those cheap HDR tv's SDR content will look better than HDR or at least a lot brighter.

Don't all 4K TV have some sort of HDR? So if ur asking whether to stay with 1080 for now, I say maybe YES.

Just got my first 4K with and I must say even 720/1080 look more realistic because of the increased brightness and FALD, mine hits 1,000 nits and I will say don't bother with brightness less than that. So HDR is only half of the story.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

I don't think so, a lot have HDR support nowadays whether or not they can actually display it as it was meant to be seen, mainly just for marketing I believe. A lot of very cheap 4k tv's don't advertise having HDR support so I doubt they do.

1000 nits brightness in HDR in a real scene is territory of very expensive TV's,. My TCL R6 does 840nits in a real scene in HDR which I think is just fine. Tv's that can do say only 600nits shouldn't even have HDR support, SDR will likely look better.

B4r u shell$ out for a 4K TV, ur opening a pandora's box, u may then have to upgrade your receiver, new cables, and it wants more ISP bandwidth with new modem, routers blah-blah. Everybody want a piece of the action :(