Headphone/headset mic combo under $200

Ramildo_the_Great

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hello, i really want to get a headset or a headphone mic combo for games such as btf4 or dayz where hearing your surroundings is important. I want the headset/headphones to be comfortable for medium sized heads, long gaming sessions (6-10 hours at once), have good sound quality so i can hear my surroundings clearly, and have a mic attached (or separate for headphones) that other people can actually understand on skype/games. It would have to be maximum $200 nothing more. I would also like if it had 7.1 surround sound but wouldnt mind that much if it didnt have it. I know that on Amazon there are a lot of discounts nw but im staying in the us in a hotel for a week and cant get anything delivered there. So, it would have to be on bestbuy, gamestop, walmart, etc. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
I'm using a Corsair HS1 which is very similar (now a discontinued product replaced by the Vengeance 1500). I'm doing long sessions, but maybe not as long as yours, maybe 3-4 hours, and I don't get too tired. But I read the Vengeance 1500 earphones are a little tighter than the HS1 so it might not be as good for long sessions but unfortunately there's no way for me to confirm because I haven't tested them.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Corsair Vengeance 1500. It usually costs around 100$, but the build quality feels like it's more expensive than this so it's a good bang for the bucks. It's also a Tom's recommended buy.

Ramildo_the_Great

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

is it comfortable for long gaming sessions? I usually play for 6-10 hours at a time.
Ive heard that its drivers have been having problems with windows 8.1.
And, do i need to buy a separate sound card to get surround sound or do i get surround sound just by connecting it to the computer? i hve no sound card, but if i need one i could buy one

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I'm using a Corsair HS1 which is very similar (now a discontinued product replaced by the Vengeance 1500). I'm doing long sessions, but maybe not as long as yours, maybe 3-4 hours, and I don't get too tired. But I read the Vengeance 1500 earphones are a little tighter than the HS1 so it might not be as good for long sessions but unfortunately there's no way for me to confirm because I haven't tested them.

Solution

Ramildo_the_Great

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Ok i might get those then. I could afford to take some breaks every couple of hours to rest my ears.
but i updated my first response to your answer could you pleaes read it

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

Really don't know about drivers issues in Win8.1 as I haven't tested them.

No you don't need a separate soundcard. The sound card is kind of built-in inside the headset. It's USB so as soon as you plug them the drivers gets loaded directly from the headset. I guess 7.1 should work out of the box from the drivers, but I know there's an additional software you can download from the Corsair website for further customization.

Ramildo_the_Great

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

ok thank you. i thought that it had 3.5mm not usb. You said you can download the additional software, so i think if i dont download it i wont get the problem (if its still there).

Ramildo_the_Great

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

i just found the audio technica ath ad700x, which seems pretty good. Would it work well for gaming if i got that and the zalmanac mic?