Headphone/Microphone combo for gaming

Krister Arvesen

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
So the situation is this... My G35s broke and I need a new gaming headset, I was looking in the price range of the siberia elite and the Vengeance 2100, however I'm under the impression that I would get both better sound and probably a better mic if I went for a pair of audiophile headphones and a cheap desktop or lav mic...
Right now I have my eyes on the AKG K 612 Pro and the Speedlink SPES.

I have three major worries with this solution though...

1. I'll be using my onboard audio which is the Realtek® ALC892. the AKGs are rated at 120 Ohm which is quite alot! However I found some spec sheets for my built in sound card http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC892-CG_DataSheet_1.3.pdf and from what I understand the soundcard should have an output of 200 Ohms.

2. They are not 7.1 or 5.1, this is a minor worry as I know that you can achieve surround effect on stereo headphones. also according to what I read it seems like my soundcard should be capable of 7.1 and may be able to simulate it??? can someone verify this?

3. last but not least I'm really not sure what mic to pick up... I know the modmic is really good, but it would practically take up half my budget almost... the one I've chosen now seems ok, but I would prefer a desktop mic or something that could attach to the headphones themselves. I'm also slightly worried about the noise cancelling capabilities of the mic...

If anyone could provide some confirmation and any input regarding what I've written down here it would be greatly appreciated...

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

7.1 or 5.1 refers to what the card can do in terms of speakers and subwoofers. at 7.1 you have 7 speakers and one sub. Won't really apply to headphones.

Krister Arvesen

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

so the AKG ones you mentioned are a little cheaper than the 612 Pros which leaves more budget for a mic... also I should add that I would like to have an open back design to get a larger soundstage... however when looking at it if I went for the AKG 240 MK2 and the modmic it would just cost slightly more than the 612 pro with the zalman mic... so I guess the AKG 240 MKII with the modmic is an option, however I started thinking, what about the Sennheiser HD518, how does that compare to the AKG 240s?