Solved! Headphones device missing from "Playback Devices" and Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018
When I plug in my headphones, (regular apple earbuds), sound still comes out of the speakers. I have tried plugging in a different set of headphones, with the same result.

As mentioned in the title, there is no "Headphones" device in the Playback Devices thingy... even with the "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" enabled.

I've checked Device Manager, and in the Audio Inputs and Outputs section, it only shows Speakers and Microphone, (both from Intel Smart Sound Technology).

Where are my headphones??! I've tried unchecking the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" box, restarting, disabling and enabling my speakers and the stuff under "Sound, video and game controllers" which are Intel Smart Sound Technology and RealTek HW Audio Codek.

Anyone got a solution as to how I can "add" headphones to my Playback Devices, or something else?
Thank you very much.

Solution
Even if you are not seeing them listed, which can happen sometimes, especially with cheaper parts (like a cheap port, don't get me started) You can still try plugging them in and then go into "Control Panel" and "Sound", then on the playback tab right click on your system speaker and choose disable. Then unplug to the headphones/earbuds and see if the sound returns to the speakers.

Should this not work, again can happen when is a cheap port, then you may want to consider getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connecting through that.
Even if you are not seeing them listed, which can happen sometimes, especially with cheaper parts (like a cheap port, don't get me started) You can still try plugging them in and then go into "Control Panel" and "Sound", then on the playback tab right click on your system speaker and choose disable. Then unplug to the headphones/earbuds and see if the sound returns to the speakers.

Should this not work, again can happen when is a cheap port, then you may want to consider getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connecting through that.

Solution
Dec 30, 2018

Just the usual side/headphone jack thingy.
From things I've read online, people's problems are usually solved when they show the "hidden" devices and a headphones device pops up. Problem is, I haven't got a headphones device, or I can't find it! You may be right though, about there not being a Headphone Device. Maybe that's why nothing's been working for me.

Dec 30, 2018

I've tried that, without results. But my headphones have previously worked, sorry I probably should have mentioned this, and this problem only came about when I got my laptop fixed. The edge around the bottom half (keyboard half) was replaced, as well as my fan. Thanks for your contribution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.