Solved! Headset mic not recognised & not on list of recording devices

lisa_marlin

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Hi All!
My Aspire 314-31 is not recognising the mic on my headset, even when I select 'headset' or 'mic' when I plug it in (it is outputting sound fine through the headset however). I have tried to select the mic on the playback/recording devices panel, but it is not listed there (only the inbuilt laptop speakers and mic are showing).

I have also updated and installed the latest drivers from the Acer site and also run windows troubleshooting of devices.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
Is the jack actually input/output or just output? Just because there is only one jack doesn't mean it is both. And, sadly, some devices that have the combo jack still don't work correctly with headset/mic combos.

First check the jack to see if it is or isn't input/output, or if it is just output.

If it is the dual and not working, is the device still under warranty? If so, contact the manufacturer. It should work correctly.

If it isn't under warranty any longer, or it isn't a dual jack, you may want to consider an adapter so you can plug the 3.5mm headset cord in through a USB port. That should work fine, unless the headset/mic is the problem. :)

An example of an adapter would be like this...
Is the jack actually input/output or just output? Just because there is only one jack doesn't mean it is both. And, sadly, some devices that have the combo jack still don't work correctly with headset/mic combos.

First check the jack to see if it is or isn't input/output, or if it is just output.

If it is the dual and not working, is the device still under warranty? If so, contact the manufacturer. It should work correctly.

If it isn't under warranty any longer, or it isn't a dual jack, you may want to consider an adapter so you can plug the 3.5mm headset cord in through a USB port. That should work fine, unless the headset/mic is the problem. :)

An example of an adapter would be like this... https://www.amazon.com/LZYCO-External-connector-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B018YV3ALM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486193340&sr=8-9&keywords=3.5mm+to+usb+adapter

Solution

TRENDING THREADS