Solved! Heatsink Pipe Scratched on NEW ASUS GL502VM

Successful

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Hi guys, I got new Asus GL502VM from ao.com few days ago. I opened up the back cover and was shocked to see very badly scratched heatsink pipes. Both sides got scratches and the right one is even worse got like tiny dents as well. Anyone has seen something like this before? Does anyone know how the hell on this planet they could appear there? Would it affect the performance, cooling at some point? (see links for pictures please).

I will be ringing Asus later today and try to explain all that. Hopefully they won't try to blame me for opening the laptop up.... I will update you on that later. My intention at the moment is to return it and get a new one that has no defects like that. Thank you!

https://goo.gl/photos/FdFtBguZdPSijFvGA
https://goo.gl/photos/jnXq31gSX5orztbE8
https://goo.gl/photos/vK9fuuhdKVgtYMrU8

Solution
Normally there are portions of the back to open for access to memory etc. But opening the whole machine is not needed on a laptop, and certainly not the first thing that you do. It's not a matter of 'rights', laptops are delicate, so often we have threads on here along the lines of 'I opened my laptop and did x/y/z and now is doesn't work', often involving just cleaning, or replacing the thermal paste, they are not designed to be opened and fiddled with.

Some companies will be harsher than others.

Ask yourself from their standpoint, 'have you been trained by Asus to maintain their machines, do they know that you know what you are doing?'

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
The scratches look pretty superficial, they are ugly but I highly doubt they will have any kind of impact on your cooling performance.

As suggested, it likely happened in manufacturing.

Successful

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

So by just opening up the back cover I would loose my warranty? Don't we have any rights to open up to clean it, maintain it etc. at some point. That's crazy...

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Normally there are portions of the back to open for access to memory etc. But opening the whole machine is not needed on a laptop, and certainly not the first thing that you do. It's not a matter of 'rights', laptops are delicate, so often we have threads on here along the lines of 'I opened my laptop and did x/y/z and now is doesn't work', often involving just cleaning, or replacing the thermal paste, they are not designed to be opened and fiddled with.

Some companies will be harsher than others.

Ask yourself from their standpoint, 'have you been trained by Asus to maintain their machines, do they know that you know what you are doing?'

Solution

Successful

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

Okay so I just spoke with Asus didn't give them serial number and just asked would it void the warranty if I opened up the laptop. She said yes it would void the warranty. So now I guess I just have to be stuck with defected laptop. Silly me should have just returned it to the shop saying I don't like it.... But now the shop knows the whole situation and Asus doesn't unless they ring them up themselves and ruin my warranty situation as well. Happy days...

Successful

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
well I just hope when time comes to resell it to someone else they won't be as picky as me. That's all really :) Luckily spoke to the shop and closed the matter by saying asus confirmed it won't affect the performance so I am happy to keep the laptop, they haven't called them themselves so all good, meaning the warranty is still there. Phew...