Help can't install Windows XP on new hdd

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I can't install windows xp on to a new hard drive! :fou:

HP dv5000 (dv5139us)
2.0 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor ML-37 with PowerNow!™ Technology
1Gb 333MHz DDR System Memory

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00614792&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1843730 (Full list of specifications)

Ok the old hard drive a 120 gb drive was bad. so I orderd a new WD Scorpio 160gb drive.
I installed the drive, I put in the Windows XP pro cd it reads the cd and displyas "hit any key to start from cd"

I goes through the " Setup is loading files" it reads all the files, then reboots it never gets to starting Microsoft windows. I went in to The BIOS setup it reads and shows the WD 160gb drive. I reset the BIOS defaults, but still get the same response. I also tried a Vista install cd and got a BSD error. It seems like it cant access the hard drive, yet it identify the hard drive in the BIOS.

Help! is there something I am missing, does anyone have any ideas on this. I have not yet checked the hard drive in a different laptop, but will do so in the morning.

The Old HDD was doing the same thing, however Partition Table Doctor 3.5 was stating a bad partition table and could not fix it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ken :)

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I just finished loading XP on a new HDD on my Acer 5315. I had to change the BIOS setting for the HDD from AHCI to IDE before it would load even though the drive is SATA.

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

I am in the BIOS I don't see any options for that. All the BIOS has is "Main, Security, Advanced, Tools and Exit.

Under Advanced there is not much to choose from. you have Video, Boot Order(CD, HDD, Floppy and Network Adapter) by the way there is no floppy drive. It does Identify the drive ok, just can't seem to boot from it! :fou:

Tools has the short test and long test and the drive passes both of them.

The Bios does not have an option to boot from USB.

Ken

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
In your Bios check heading 'Main' it contains time, date, memory, etc. My last opton is SATA Mode: which was set to ACHI and I changed it to IDE to work.

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Under "Main" you have: system time, system date, Notebook model, system board id, Processor type, processor speed, system memory, BIOS version, KBC version, serial number and UUID number.

I don' see anything regarding Ide or sata mode.

The Hard drive is listed under advance, boot order it list the WD hdd.

The weird thing is I was using a multitask dos boot utility's cd it also shows all the info regarding the hard drive make model and size. There is a NTFS utility and I was able to copy files to the C: drive. It see's all the drive info. When I boot without any cd it's if no drive is there. When I pop in the XP cd it loads the files, but as soon as the cd needs to wright any info to the hard drive it restarts.

The fact that I could copy files to the c drive with a DOS utility would eliminate a controller problem yes? no? Maybe?

Thank you for your reply

Ken

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
For some reason the boot sector is screwed up. Can you remove the drive and check the pins on the connector on the computer and the drive. There could be a bent pin or one not making contact or 2 pins pushed together. Are you running on battery or AC? When reloading a disc you probably should run on AC for stable voltages.

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hi Chuck,

This is a brand new 160Gb WD Scorpio IDE drive, there are no bent pins.
I put the drive in a external USB enclosure and formatted it with my other computer. So the drive is formatted NTFS and empty at this point.

When I boot the computer with no cd, it comes up with:

"Intel UNDI, PEX-2.0 (build 082)
copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel corporation

For Realtek RTL3189(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Eathernet controller v2.13 (020326)

PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
J" blinking curser.

I have the network adapter and the floppy disabled in BIOS.

When I use the multitask dos boot utility's cd it also shows all the info regarding the hard drive make model and size.

There is a NTFS4dos utility and I was able to use and copy files to the C: drive. It see's all the drive info.

Thanks

Ken

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Ken,

I searched the web for the Pxe-e61 message and it means an OS cannot be found and it's trying to boot from a network. Which is ok, since you haven't loaded it. At this point I'd say your HDD is bad. Is there any way you can put it into another PC and try to load XP?

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Also check Bios again and see if there's an ! in front of the HDD, if so try Shift +1 to enable it. I saw this on a forum concerning a Toshiba Notebook.

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I searched the web for the Pxe-e61 message and it means an OS cannot be found and it's trying to boot from a network. Which is ok, since you haven't loaded it. At this point I'd say your HDD is bad. Is there any way you can put it into another PC and try to load XP?

I checked to make sure there was no (!) by the hard drive when I first started on this. I do Have the Network adapter and floppy disabled with the (!) and that stopped the PXE-e6 messages.

I don't understand if I can copy files to the hard drive with NTFS4dos program, why can't windows setup wright to the hard drive or when I boot with out a cd why can't it see a hard drive :??:

Thanks for the help

Ken

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Ken,

I have an idea. Are you familiar with Ubuntu at all? If you want to try this, go to ubuntu.com and download the OS and follow their instructions on burning it to a cd/dvd disc or usb memory. Then boot it to your PC, it will allow you to run it without installing or it can be installed to the HDD. Then you can see if it will boot from the HDD.

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Ok ,

I am throwing in the towel and admitting defeat! :(

I have come to the conclusion that the controller is bad on the mother board.
Windows xp will not load, Ubuntu will not run. I do have a question through if anyone can answer. I have found a used mother board the replacement board has "HAL20 LA-2771 on the board, my board has HAL10 LA3181P

Does anyone know what the difference is I tried to Google it but not coming up a real answer. I find each one but there is not a lot of information for ether one.

Thanks

Ken

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Ken,

Sorry we couldn't fix the problem, but you gave it the old college try.

I checked Yahoo and I found that the Hal20 is used on the dv5000 series, so it should fit. All you have to worry about is drivers. Can you return the board if it doesn't work?

krosloniec49426

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

Hi Chuck,

Yah I was really trying, kept thinking I could get it going. Thank you and every one else for all your help it was a good effort.

As for the new board yes I can return it if it does not work. I found it on ebay, the person said he tested them and work fine. He was doing some research on his end also to see if it would work for me. So I should receive it by Tue or Wed. The price was good $75.00 and free shipping, I think it also includes the processor as well.

Thank again

Ken