Help choosing my first camera! D3400 or EOS M3

jake.steele

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Hey Toms Guide,

Recently I've been hiking lots and I am looking for a Camera to catch some of these moments and upload them to my online accounts.

There are 2 good deals going on right now that put 2 cameras at the same price range,

1. Nikon D3400

2. Canon EOS M3

Both come with basically the same standard lens and are in my price range.

I will mostly be using the Camera for Landscape photos, maybe a few nice photos of friends, camping shots, family events and photos of my kittens.

My skill level is beginner with Cameras but intermediate with Photoshop. I am eager to learn!

I am looking for some advice on which Camera would work better, and maybe a little description of why.

I have read a lot of reviews! I believe the Nikon D3400 got a little bit higher reviews, but the camera is newer, and I am not sure how firmware updates may have improved the eos m3.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

cin19

Distinguished
Nikon D3400: Sensor size bigger (23.5 x 15.6 mm) vs canon ( 22.3 x 14.9 mm), that means you get better clear images. Also its battery life is better, means you can take more shots.

Canon EOS M3: newer gen SLR camera, mirrorless type. Touch screen; more clear screen ( screen dots 1,040,000); Tilting LCD; Stereo Microphone; More focus points (49) vs nikon d3400( only 11); light weight 366 g (0.81 lb / 12.91 oz) vs nikon d3400 445 g (0.98 lb / 15.70 oz)

One more thing you need to consider, if you want buy more lens later, the Nikon lens will be more expensive. Because they are good, but if you want to try the newer tech stuff, buy the canon one. otherwise buy the Nikon.

jake.steele

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017

Thanks for the heads up, ive been reviewing photos of the two. Have you used both? Do you notice the functionality of either to be easier to use?

cin19

Distinguished
I don't. I had other canon EOS digital or film cameras, as long as you read the manual carefully, then take some pictures, you will have no problem for either one.
And recommend to try it out in the store if you can before buy the camera.

tompullin

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
I won't compare the merits of those specific cameras because the body and features change every year. I will say this though. As you move from beginner to being more comfortable and more invested in the time you spend photographing, the element that will drive all your future decisions will be the lenses in which you choose to invest. Good glass will always be good glass without regard for the body. If you invest in a lot of Nikon lenses, you will be inclined to purchase Nikon bodies in the future. Likewise with Canon. (Unless of course you are independently wealthy, marry up or win the lottery.) The other factor, which sounds silly but isn't, is how do the different bodies feel in your hand. Nikon and Canon have different finger reaches and different feels in your hand.

So my advice is to go the store and feel both in the hand. Play with the buttons you can figure out for now, and decide which lenses you want to marry for the future.