Help deciding on workstation for architecture

snavarro18

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Hello, Im looking for a laptop that can run Rhino, Form Z, AutoCad, and Photoshop. Ive been reading through forums and now know the importance of a workstation gpu. I found these two laptops: M6800 and the Sager NP9377-S.
Here are the specs;
M6800:
i7-4910MQ
K4100M
256gb SSD
16gb memory

NP9377-S:
i7-4710MQ
K5100M
750gb SSD + 1tb HDD
16bg Memory.

which one would be more beneficial? Or is there another laptop you'd recommend? I want this laptop to be able to run highly detailed 3d models without lagging. 4k is my budget.
Thanks!

Solution
I'd go with the M6800 even though it lacks the HDD. You can always use an external USB drive for additional storage if needed.

The extra 2GB of cache on the 4910MQ and additional 400mhz clock speed are going to be noticeable performance advantages over the 4710MQ.

However, the K4100M has half the GPU memory of the K5100M so you need to decide between the two whether the CPU or the GPU is going to be more advantageous for the applications you will be mainly running.

If you could find a model with the 4910MQ AND the K5100M GPU, like the Sager NP9377 (No -S), that would even be better.

Considering all that though, if you have to make a choice, I'd say that 4GB of GPU memory is fairly decent for any card so the better CPU would be the...
I'd go with the M6800 even though it lacks the HDD. You can always use an external USB drive for additional storage if needed.

The extra 2GB of cache on the 4910MQ and additional 400mhz clock speed are going to be noticeable performance advantages over the 4710MQ.

However, the K4100M has half the GPU memory of the K5100M so you need to decide between the two whether the CPU or the GPU is going to be more advantageous for the applications you will be mainly running.

If you could find a model with the 4910MQ AND the K5100M GPU, like the Sager NP9377 (No -S), that would even be better.

Considering all that though, if you have to make a choice, I'd say that 4GB of GPU memory is fairly decent for any card so the better CPU would be the deciding factor for me, but you might need the additional 4GB the other card offers for your purposes so you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Solution