abbarich

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
I've got some family videos I'd like to burn onto dvd-r's. Some are various lengths. Will I have a problem with the longer videos, some of which are about 3 hours long. The dvd-r's I've bought are verbatim and they are 4.7GB, but it does say 120 mins on the discs. I did experiment on a dvd rw with a video I'd converted into an mpeg, and a 2 hour 10 minute video did fit without cutting off the end. The dvd rw does say 2xspeed though, so I'm wondering if the dvd-r will cut the end off some of my videos if they are longer than 2 hours. I'm using the ashampoo burning studio to burn the discs which was a free download, but I can't find anywhere on there where I can alter speed etc to fit entire video to disc. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The disk can either fit 4.7gb of data (which can be anything) or 120m of video burned on it so that every dvd player can play it. If you just copy data on it only devices that support the files format/codec will be able to play the video's. If you burn it as a dvd everything will be able to be played on any dvd player.

Solution

abbarich

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I've got one video that is 3 hours 45 minutes long. It's telling me that it's 1.45 GB, so am I right in thinking this will fit on a 120 min dvd-r as the file is less than 4.7 GB. Do I have to do anything extra to make it fit or will it be ok? Also, the dvd rw that I practised on plays perfectly on my dvd player and tv, but will not play on my laptop, even though I burned it on my laptop. I converted it as an mpeg. Do you know why it won't play on my laptop? Thank you.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Use vlc media player to play dvds on your pc.
Your dvd player will not play a copied file unless it has features to decode certain filetypes other than generic dvd.