[Help] Kali Linux 2.0 Vulnerability Scanning

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
So I'm pretty new to the vulnerability scanning thing. I'm running Kali Linux 2.0 on my LAN, and currently I'm running Zenmap to find open ports/services/etc...

I'm running it from behind my router outside, and back into my router (so it acts like the scan is coming from the Internet, not inside my LAN). As in... I'm using my public-facing router IP, not my private LAN router IP.

I noticed that port 23 (Telnet) is open, and it is even open when I ran my scan from the inside of the LAN. The problem is that I blocked port 23 from all traffic through my router, it shouldn't be open, but it reports that it is.

(1) How can I shut it off if the router is already blocking it? (Using a Netgear WNR1000)
(2) If it is a program from my LAN (or worse, an attacker from the outside), how do I find out which IP address it is coming from and shut it down?

* Also, any other tips/tricks for Kali Linux would be greatly appreciated !!

- Ben

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Remote management is off, and it's set for a different port anyway.

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I've never used (nor heard of Shield's Up). I tried the common ports scan, and the all services scan - everything showed up green, both scans reported that port 23 had no response back (good)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
ShieldsUp! has been around for years and is a decent tool to externally check for common holes in one's defenses. Sounds like your scans were good.

Did you see the other link? That one is fairly interesting in its implications. Do you know if your Netgear is running the most up to date firmware?

Also, have you considered a more capable 3rd party firmware (like DD-WRT) for your router?

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Actually I didn't see that post. But I just looked that up, and it's kind of disturbing.... no authentication and you're in.

I would like to use DD-WRT, but it is not supported on my router.

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I have v3, but I saw it on the unsupported list and on the supported list, I didn't really want to brick it either. (see pic)

p0pxtkq.png