Help, looking for slim laptop to be used for cad - catia v5

William Brenner

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hello!
I'm looking for a laptop that is relatively thin and it should be capable of running Catia V5 without any problem as that is the program I will use in my university courses. I have a budget limit at around 900 USD.
I appreciate all help I can get as I have never used CAD program before and thus have no previous knowledge about what works. What would be good specs to be looking for in the laptop I'm looking for? Should I aim for an i3 / i5 or i7 processor (or AMD equivalent)? Some minor gaming will be performed too. However I just want a really fast computer, and preferably thin, that I can use in school for writing documents and to use it for 3D Modeling.
Thanks in advance!

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
The Catia website has some pages dedicated to minimum system requirements, you should check them out.

While I haven't found any reference to minimum memory requirements (I didn't look very closely, but you should), I wouldn't attempt to run any CAD software on a system with less than 16GB and expect it to run smoothly.

This will probably get you in trouble with your USD 900 budget, since you'll have to do a lot of searching to find a laptop with an adequate processor and graphics solution which also has 16GB of RAM, for that price.
Most systems with the graphical specs you require have 8GB, the cheapest 16GB laptop I've found (i5 Gen7 with a GTX 1050) costs 980 bucks.

Cheers,
Gaius

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
The Catia website has some pages dedicated to minimum system requirements, you should check them out.

While I haven't found any reference to minimum memory requirements (I didn't look very closely, but you should), I wouldn't attempt to run any CAD software on a system with less than 16GB and expect it to run smoothly.

This will probably get you in trouble with your USD 900 budget, since you'll have to do a lot of searching to find a laptop with an adequate processor and graphics solution which also has 16GB of RAM, for that price.
Most systems with the graphical specs you require have 8GB, the cheapest 16GB laptop I've found (i5 Gen7 with a GTX 1050) costs 980 bucks.

Cheers,
Gaius

William Brenner

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks a lot for the help!
I might be able to reach 980 bucks so if you could also send a link too I'd very much appreciate it. But otherwise I thank you for your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop General Discussion 0
mark.j.ruggiero Laptop General Discussion 2
M Laptop General Discussion 1
wehilary Laptop General Discussion 0
Mcstick333 Laptop General Discussion 1
ADS_Deployed! Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 1
blzbnvntr Laptop General Discussion 6
agaitan026 Laptop General Discussion 5
F Laptop General Discussion 5
Gregoryan Laptop General Discussion 7