Help me choose a subwoofer

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014
Hello

I am currently looking for a powerful subwoofer for in my room which will fit my JBL TR125's ( I know they're PA speakers but they sound absolutely stunning and I could get them cheap )
I came across a Skytec SWA 18(I've heard about Skytec being shit so you don't have to tell me that :na: ) and for the money/specs (30Hz low, 119dB SPL) it seems like a good deal. I need something to go below 40Hz since my JBL's wont go below 50Hz and I don't have that much of a budget to go spend on a subwoofer. The SWA18 also got some pretty good reviews on all sites where I could purchase them so it got me wondering if I should get that one. I can send it back if I decide that I don't like them.

Any help or recommendations for good Price/specs subwoofers??

Thanks

Solution
The optimal way of using a subwoofer is to remove bass from the main speakers where the sub and speakers would both play the same range. You get cleaner bass, clearer mids, and more max volume out of the main speakers if you do this. That requires a high pass filter or crossover.
Powered subwoofers usually have a built in low pass filter or crossover so that the sub is limited in the range of bass it covers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover
You don't give any details on how or with what gear you are using the JBLs. If you want more extended deeper bass and not more boom the sub might not help.
You're assuming that the specs on the sub are honest and will be duplicated in your room.
The sub may not extend the bass of your JBLs at all just add more bass above 50hz. If you aren't going to crossover the JBLs the result might not be good.
If you are not running the JBL/amp combo at their limit you could try using DSP to EQ their bottom end. That would get you flatter bass as well as more bass extension. Room correction would fix standing waves. It makes an awesome improvement. If you are using a computer as source you can do there.

Racinglife12

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

Thanks for the reply. My JBL's are running at their peak at the moment and I got everything set to the best possible in my room. Had my EQ bass set to +15 on my mix panel but everything below 50Hz is still inaudible ( Hear the sub moving but no bass.) I'm considering to give the sub a try because I can return it and get a full refund if I don't like it. And what exactly do you mean with crossovering my JBL's?? I'm not the best when it comes to audio :/

The optimal way of using a subwoofer is to remove bass from the main speakers where the sub and speakers would both play the same range. You get cleaner bass, clearer mids, and more max volume out of the main speakers if you do this. That requires a high pass filter or crossover.
Powered subwoofers usually have a built in low pass filter or crossover so that the sub is limited in the range of bass it covers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

Solution