Help me find a laptop please!

ALari

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Hi guys,

My dad wants to purchase a new laptop to upgrade from his Sony Vaio Z (this model but maxed out: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Sony-Vaio-Z-2012.htm)

What he's looking for is the following:
-A 1 TB SSD or larger (if it's not an option, at least have upgradeable memory)
-around 16 gb ram (8 gb won't be a deal breaker)
-a decent dedicated graphics card to work with autocad and some adobe programs (his current laptop has a dedicated card that is separate and is connected whenever you want to use it, he doesn't mind getting another like that)
-1080p or greater screen
-around 13" or 15"
-Aesthetically pleasing (his current laptop is quite stylish and he takes it on business a lot so he wants something sleek and professional looking)
-A touch screen
-less than 5 lbs

He looked into Macbook pros but he didn't want to get one cause it's too heavy and he prefers windows (also no touchscreen) he also looked at the dell precision M3800 mobile which seemed perfect but it didn't have very good ratings and wasn't aesthetically to his liking. Also price isn't really a factor.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find something for him haha, can anyone please suggest a laptop that can meet his stringent requirements?

Thanks!

Solution
I might suggest looking at the MSI GS30 Shadow with it's external graphics dock, it can handle most any programs out there. Put an NVidia Titan in the graphics dock and it should tear up any CAD or design work. Only downside IMO would be that it's 13"... and that it can get expensive.
My understanding is that the dock can allow for additional hard drives also.
You might also check out the offerings at XoticPC (at least get some ideas of what's available)
I might suggest looking at the MSI GS30 Shadow with it's external graphics dock, it can handle most any programs out there. Put an NVidia Titan in the graphics dock and it should tear up any CAD or design work. Only downside IMO would be that it's 13"... and that it can get expensive.
My understanding is that the dock can allow for additional hard drives also.
You might also check out the offerings at XoticPC (at least get some ideas of what's available)

Solution
You could try one of the asus n series laptops. They will be able to handle cad easily. The only thing I don't know is if they are too heavy as mine is 3.4kg. You can reduce the weight by getting rid of the optical drive.

Also to get a 1tb ssd will be very expensive and I don't know of any thin laptop that has this built in.

robmak3

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
Your dad will probably have to bend for a 1 TB HDD on a laptop because I haven't really seen anything more. Also, 16GB is usually something I think the lighter PCs don't have, or may be able to upgrade to. Touch screens may not come with it. I would recommend a DIY build (for the SSD) or a cloud computing solution with a mid-end to high-end laptop