Help needed! Connecting old VHS/DVD player to my Smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlmurdoch1111

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I am very technologically challenged! I recently bought a Vizio Smart TV (smarter than me, apparently). How do I connect my old LG VHS/DVD player to it? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Depending on your model of VHS/DVD player, you may have the option to use the Component output. Do you see 3 plugs on the back of your DVD player that are colored green, red, and blue, and labeled Y, Pb, Pr? If so, you can get yourself a component cable and connect the DVD player to the TV using those plugs.

Otherwise, you will need to get an RCA to HDMI converter. Something like this should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-HDMI2RCACVS-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray/dp/B009A6PJKQ

You can plug the RCA (yellow/red/white) output in to this box and connect the HDMI output from the box to your TV using an HDMI cable.

mgolus

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Depending on your model of VHS/DVD player, you may have the option to use the Component output. Do you see 3 plugs on the back of your DVD player that are colored green, red, and blue, and labeled Y, Pb, Pr? If so, you can get yourself a component cable and connect the DVD player to the TV using those plugs.

Otherwise, you will need to get an RCA to HDMI converter. Something like this should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-HDMI2RCACVS-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray/dp/B009A6PJKQ

You can plug the RCA (yellow/red/white) output in to this box and connect the HDMI output from the box to your TV using an HDMI cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Slade2wil

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I was having the same problem. No need to purchase an RCA To HDMI converter, Use your RCA cable from your out put on you Player, Plug the other end into your Input on the TV. Press the source button on the TV's remote, scroll over to A/V, click OK.
Watch your Movie. When finish , again press source on the remote move back to HDMI, Press OK , watch your TV

chewedpupp

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I bought one of those AV2HDMI converter boxes but STILL can't get mine to work (record tv/ota) - I have a new samsung smart tv and old panasonic vcr/dvd combo which I love love love....... but cannot record any of the over the air programs. I can watch old videos, prerecorded, but cannot record anything, and there are such great OTA programs that I never even knew existed as we had cable for many years (and don't miss it at ALL!). So how did your son manage to hook yours up? Thank you so much, Joanna

lamb83

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

I am having the same problem with my new flat TV; I managed to figure out how to connect my VCR/DVD player combo to the TV and it plays VCR tapes and DVDs, but the VCR won't record. Can someone please help? Thanks!!

lamb83

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

OK, thanks for the info. Could you or someone else share which converter would be best, and where to get it for a reasonable price? Thanks again very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.