Solved! Help needed with smart home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2018
Hi there, my brother recently asked me if when he buys his new house If I can basically just turn it into a full smart home, including curtains controlled by Alexa/google home haven't decided which one I'll use yet. How much will everything cost? Like hive heating and everything. Also including smart locks.

Solution
As the other folks said, the cost all depends on how much stuff you want to install. A typical smart lock costs around $150-$200, smart bulbs can go from $8-$25 depending on which ones you want, and a smart thermostat will run from $100-$200. Smart blinds get real expensive, real fast. Just one room with two windows can cost upwards of $800, though IKEA is supposed to come out with smart shades this spring, which presumably will be much less.
Here's an overview of our favorite smart home gear: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-smart-home-gadgets,review-2008.html
Oct 17, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from cam_wrcs : "Help with creating smart home needed."

Hi there, my brother recently asked me if when he buys his new house If I can basically just turn it into a full smart home, including curtains controlled by Alexa/google home haven't decided which one I'll use yet. How much will everything cost? Like hive heating and everything. Also including smart locks.

No one can answer your question since we can't know how many lights, curtains, doors, etc the house has. We don't know if he wants to control AV and in how many rooms.
It will be more likely to be thousands rather than hundreds.
I hope you get along with your brother since when something doesn't work you are going to get a call for help.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
As the other folks said, the cost all depends on how much stuff you want to install. A typical smart lock costs around $150-$200, smart bulbs can go from $8-$25 depending on which ones you want, and a smart thermostat will run from $100-$200. Smart blinds get real expensive, real fast. Just one room with two windows can cost upwards of $800, though IKEA is supposed to come out with smart shades this spring, which presumably will be much less.
Here's an overview of our favorite smart home gear: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-smart-home-gadgets,review-2008.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.