Help picking components for a $3,000 home theater system.

NewAudioGuy

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help picking out the best home theater system on a $3,000 budget (a little flexible if it would make a big difference in sound).

I'm building a new house with a living room that is 14'-9" by 21'-2" and is open to a kitchen/morning room that is another 10'-9" by 29'-1".

To please the wife I think it is best to do floor standing speakers in front and possibly small jewel speakers I can hang in the rear from the walls near the ceiling, as I don't have a way to wire speakers to an ideal location behind the sofa. I could do ceiling mount speakers above the sofa for a 7.1 or 7.2 system.

I've looked at several types of systems so far like the following:

Orb Mod2x (http://www.orbaudio.com/mod2xplushometheater.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA18mzBRCo1e_-y_KLpXISJACEsANG6puwqvmyCMoro-94BIOeQq9AK5YyNZDfR52ryhcqPhoCMKPw_wcB).

Bowers & Wilkins MT-60D (http://m.bowers-wilkins.com/speakers/theatre-solutions/mini-theatre/MT-60D.html)

I realize each of these systems lack the front floor standing speakers, but there are just so many to choose from, I can't possibly list all of the ones I have looked at.

Finally, I'll probably want to receiver that I can handle upgrades as time goes on. I currently have a 65" 4K TV (no 3D), so even if I go with a 5.1 system now, I want the power to handle a nice 7.2 system later.

Thanks for your help and advice!

It's great that you wife is happy with floor standing speakers. There are a lot to choose from. The best way to pick them is to listen to them yourself. I would suggest you consider Paradigm and Revel as well as B&W. In your price range I think you will get better value. Listen to the speakers at low volume as well as high. A great HT needs detail and clarity at all volumes. Unsophisticated designs are less likely to accomplish this and it it vital to enjoying movies and music.
The center channel you want is the one that matches the front towers.
I think that in ceiling or in wall surrounds offer the combination of clean look and better sound than little tiny speakers.
The subwoofer does not have to be the same brand as the other speakers. Paradigm subwoofers are very tight, dynamic and have their own DSP room correction built in. Place it where your wife is happy with it and let your laptop perfect the sound. They also have a lot of models.
For high quality receiver consider Anthem and Marantz. Most surround receivers are not designed for their sound quality but for their features. The Anthem has the best speaker/room correction. The Marantz excellent sound and pretty much every useful feature.