Help picking Receiver

Henry_54

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I just bought a house that has a wired home speaker system with four speakers in the living room, four in the master bedroom, 2 outdoor speakers off one deck, and another 2 speakers off of another deck. I believe the two outdoor speakers both have a volume control switch outside.

I would like to be able to use the speakers for both music and TV/movies. Would like to be able to control the volume from an app while simultaneously being able to turning speakers in different rooms on and off. I do not care about being able to play different music/audio sources in different rooms although it would be nice to have two zone functionality.

Any thoughts on what type of receiver would do the trick? Hoping for a relatively cheap solution.

Solution
There isn't a cheap way to provide all the functions you want.
If you want to do surround sound in a room you will need a surround sound receiver.
If it has a zone 2 speaker output you would connect that to an additional pair of speakers or using a speaker selector with impedance matching more than one pair. Most receivers have control apps but the more complicated and confusing it gets to use the less it gets used.
I would suggest you use Sonos for your music needs. A Sonos ConnectAmp will drive 4 speakers to create a zone. Free apps to control them. Easy to set up and great fun to use. Access streaming services, Sirius/XM and all your music files from one app. You can do them over time since there is no expensive master unit...
There isn't a cheap way to provide all the functions you want.
If you want to do surround sound in a room you will need a surround sound receiver.
If it has a zone 2 speaker output you would connect that to an additional pair of speakers or using a speaker selector with impedance matching more than one pair. Most receivers have control apps but the more complicated and confusing it gets to use the less it gets used.
I would suggest you use Sonos for your music needs. A Sonos ConnectAmp will drive 4 speakers to create a zone. Free apps to control them. Easy to set up and great fun to use. Access streaming services, Sirius/XM and all your music files from one app. You can do them over time since there is no expensive master unit required. If there is a Sonos dealer in your area visit them so they can show you how it works and what it can do. Best Buy does sell it but often there is nobody there who can explain it to you. A smaller dealer or custom installer would be more likely to help you.

Solution