Help picking source

the_ryster_2091

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I was given a 5.1 system without the receiver, I want to use this in my garage for radio only. What kind of receiver would be good for this setup, I'm looking to spend as little as possible. Thanks

A car head unit with a built in amp for four speakers will play the speakers. You will need 12vdc power supply with adequate wattage to power up the headunit. You would also need an amp for the woofer since most HTS have the sub amp in the main unit. It would not play the center speaker.
If you can find an old surround sound receiver (pre digital or HDMI) that would drive the 5 speakers. You would still need an additional amp for the sub. Check out thrift shops and Craigslist.

"Without the receiver" - this means speakers only?

What media you want to play in your garage? Audio only? Movies? Games?

A stereo-only amplifier can be had for as little as $50. 5.1 surround system - you're looking more like $200.

the_ryster_2091

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Yes the speakers only is all I have. Subwoofer centre and 4 speakers. And stereo only is all that I want. It's strictly for music in my garage. Basically all i want is something to connect the speakers to that has am/fm capability for cheap.

Edit: Could I also use an old car head unit to power these without an amplifier?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 3
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 4
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 6
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 4
R Streaming Video & TVs 2