HELP!!! Sager NP9150 Clevo P15OEM Laptop "ARE LAPTOP MONITOR worth upgrading for gaming? stock vs 95% NTSC

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hi about to buy gaming laptop and would like to get opinion of users before I place order. Instead of jamming all question in one thread am going to separate them by part.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COMMENTS!!!!

Question:

Sager NP9150 Clevo P15OEM Laptop "ARE LAPTOP MONITOR worth upgrading for gaming? stock vs 95% NTSC

Options:

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - S1R319)

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager Screen - [ETA: 4/9] (SKU - S1R316) ( + 30 )

- 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Sager Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) - [ETA: 4/9] (SKU - S1X301) ( + 95 )

Use:

To use on long business trips (two three months at a time) and to keep me entertained cause some of the cities I go to does not have TV or even internet.

70% Gaming, 10% watching movie, 20% on lite excel, powerpoint, emial use for work. (I hope my boss don't see this LOL)

Games I would like to play on ultra - BF3, Simcity, SCII, Farcry

Importance ranking -
1. Smooth graphics at ultra or at least one below
2. Onboard sound card, Will be connecting to gaming headphones 50% of the time so the quality of the sound output is good
3.Onboard speakers Would like the onboard speakers to be at least decent, meaning no distortion.
4. Screen Quality
5. battery life
6. mobility
7. weight

I had a m17X m4 with 7970 ATI graphics card, but the m17x/7970/win8 combo has multiple issues from the start so I ended up returning the unit. Love the quality and build though

Solution
The 95% NTSC screens look great, especially after calibration. But for gaming? As far as I'm aware, most games don't utilize the 95% gamut, so you'd be better off saving some money and investing it towards a different upgrade.
Great choice

I went with the 95% and no dead pixel warranty .... but if it was just a gaming box, i wouldn't have bothered.

I have the 170EM .... I buy ball my lappies from "Larry the Laptop Guy" :) .... (LPC digital). Call him up and ask him to go thru the options with you

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np9150-features.html

Other options to consider:

675 MX for $100 675 MX is no 25, the 670 is 47 in the rankings below
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

16GB RAM for $70 - for that price why not

750GB Seagate Momentus XT for $90

I have lappie with 750 GB 7200 rpm HD and Crrucial M4 ($165 upgrade) and another with the $70 momentus upgrade .... ya cant tell the machines apart performance wise

BR Reader for $55 - on the road for months .... watching movies.... oughta have Blue Ray

Intel 6235 for $30 - step above the generic wireless BT module

BTW, Alienware used to build their lappies with Clevo chassis parts, then Dell bought them out....they haven't maintained the quality level IMO.

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012

got it thanks

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Three points:
1. I initially also wanted to get the hybrid, but read somewhere that the drive is not stable and some even zonked out after a few months of use. Do you have different experience first hand? If so how long have you had it and what rig what that in?
2. So if I am very happy with Alienware's workmanship, got a m17x two weeks ago. So the Clevo's would even be better!!! Nice... I am also going thru Mythlogic.
3. I had the same thought process as you on the GPU. I placed a question out there, but no reply yet :( On one hand, 675mx is robust and def a very nice card, but a flagship is still a flagship. The benchmarks are showing its 10% faster in 3D mark and frame rates for what I play is also better... On the other hand, with 680mx already out, heard 780m coming out soon and will be 30% faster with the right CPU combo. So will this drop dramatically in price in the next 4 to 6 months? That's the dilemma I have....

Anyway will keep you guys posted on what I got finally...

1. HDD manufacturer's are fairly comparable. We seldom get any cases where a hybrid drive fails; most of the RMA cases we get related to drives are either with the Hitachi drives that sometimes come stock, or occasionally with a SSD, but not because it failed on a hardware level.

2. Clevo's are great, and I gotta hand it to Mythlogic; their level of service and expertise is also great. Your odds of being disappointed are extremely slim. :)

3. "Dramatically" drop? Not likely. But you'll see a markdown on the 6xxM and probably a phasing out of the 5xxM cards (as if the 5xxM isn't already being slowly phased out). 780M has yet to be officially announced, though you can look up news leaks (there's one on anandtech forums) on the specs. I've read the 780M is "expected" in the first quarter of this year. /shrug

In any case, hoping you more than like your system when you get it!