SULIQZ

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hello guys! I will buy a laptop soon.
So, I can't choose between two laptops:
Lenovo Y580 - Core i5 3210M, 6 GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M
and the
DELL Inspiron 3537 - Core i7 4500U, 6GB DDR3, AMD Radeon 8850M.
Will Haswell ULV i7 bottleneck fast Radeon 8850M?
which laptop would be better for gaming, studying?I WON'T work in AUTOcad,Photoshop, etc

SULIQZ

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

game debate site says that gaming capabilities of AMD Radeon HD 8850M are noticeably better than GTX660M's. But gaming benchmarks and FPS in games says that GTX 660M's fps in games are higher...why?The theoretical performance of 8850M is higher, it has more shader processing units, TMU's..
How do you think, what framerate will I have in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky at DX10.1?

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
IMO benchmarks and FPS counts in real games are more trustworthy. the number of shaders and TMUs honestly mean nothing when comparing two different architectures from different companies, as the underlying architecture of each processing unit is different, therefore their 'ability' per unit is different. I think the GTX660M will pull out SLIGHTLY ahead of the AMD 8850M.

what's more important to notice here is that the Lenovo has an 'M' series i5 CPU, while the Dell has an 'U' series i7 CPU. while i7 are generally considered 'better' or 'faster' than an i5, the limiting factor in a laptop is actually the CPU's power-consumption and thermal cap. the 'M' series use more power, and hit higher clocks than a 'U' series CPU, allowing it to run significantly faster. consequently, you can expect a laptop with an 'M' series chip to have a shorter battery life, or be much thicker/heavier, and probably a louder fan.