help with audio setup

baziger

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
Hi

I am trying to power a 7.1 HT setup and 6.1 set up with a single 7.2 AVR. I will be using either one or the other setup but not both at the same time. Is there a speaker selector switch box that will allow. The 7.1 is for home theater and 6.1 is to power 6 in-ceiling speakers + subwoofer for background music. They are both in my basement.

Please advice.

I don't think anyone makes a speaker selector like that. You would have to use 4 stereo speaker selectors (one would be to turn off the HT center speaker) . You would split the output of the receiver sub out to feed both subwoofers.
To use the basement speakers you would select the basement speakers on each box and turn off the HT ones. Then you would have to turn off the HT subwoofer so it stops playing and turn on the basement sub). Set the receiver to its multi-channel stereo mode as you don't want surround sound for background use. The speaker levels would not be even as your cannot defeat the speaker levels for surround sound.
Not too convenient if you will be switching back and forth a lot. I would consider a true 2 zone solution that could offer better control and easier use.

baziger

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014

Thanks for your response. I have been considering the option of buying 2 receivers: one for HT and the other for background music (6.1). I am not sure if there is a 2 zone receiver that will allow for 5.1/7.1 (HT) and 6.1

what do you mean by:"Set the receiver to its multi-channel stereo mode as you don't want surround sound for background use. The speaker levels would not be even as your cannot defeat the speaker levels for surround sound.
Not too convenient if you will be switching back and forth a lot
."

do you think this will work: http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=1752

Also, I have 6 in-ceiling speakers (three speakers on Left and 3 on Right parallel to each). What happens if i take the L&R from 3 left speakers and connect to the 3 Left inputs in the receiver and take the L&R from right speakers and connect to 3 Right inputs in the receiver?