Help with cable connection to old tv

CC0211

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I have an old 2005 Panasonic
th-37px50u that I'm trying to hook up to my daughter's digital cable without a cable box. The tv was previously connected to the same cable company, (Suddenlink), with a cable dvr box, but my daughter is trying to trim her cable costs and do away with using all of the dvr boxes in her home. I'm only picking up one city channel right now after playing with all of the programming selections I can find....does anyone have some advice for a non-technological brained grandmother??
Thanx!!!!

Update.....I don't know how, but now I am getting some channels. They come up with different numbers like 4-1 for channel 4 and 5-1 for channel 5, and nothing from double digit channels. Looking for the programming trick to correct the channel numbers!

kanewolf

Judicious
The problem is that TV is old enough that it doesn't have an HD tuner (according to the user's manual). So even over-the-air TV channels can't be tuned in. You MAY be able to use a stand-alone HD tuner, if your cable company has any unencrypted channels. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Multi-Function-Converter-Recording-Playback/dp/B00GOILYB6 BUT I have no way of knowing if the cable company has any unencrypted channels at frequencies that can be tuned in.

Contact your cable company to see if they offer CableCards, Not really any different that having a set top box, but you can still do away with the DVR. The channels you're getting now are not from your cable company but from your local area digital, over-the-air broadcasts.

-Wolf sends

kanewolf

Judicious

The docs I looked at didn't show a ATSC/QAM tuner. -- ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/om/th-37px50_en_om.pdf
But the store has it in the description. So I am not sure which to believe ...

Solution