Help with choosing a new sound card

lazyman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i just purchased the G51 speakers from logitect. Plug it in and it works fine and all, but the sound is pretty muddy, even when its in matrix mode. So i'm planning on buying a new sound card, i'm new to this sound card stuff, so i would appreicate any help or tip.. thanks in advaned everyone. My price range would probably be around $50-40 range.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
PC speakers are not like Home Stereo/Audio System. They are cheap, build and design for it's PC purpose.

Try downloading DFX: http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php

Before you buy a sound card try adjusting your audio settings first, and remember all speakers require break-in. So your speakers may sound awful for a month or two but if you can wait until you got the components optimize, you may not need a sound card.

Some speakers requires longer to break-in than others.

Note that Logitech speakers tend to be muddy and the Creative speakers sounds more crisp than Logitech.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Definitely - Creative and Klipsch speakers are pretty good as computer audio is concerned, and then M-audio is among the best. Logitech has tons of power, but they are not known for their clarity.

lazyman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Wow i'm impressed.. The DFX plugin made a dramatic difference when i'm listening to songs

Is there something that enhances the audio in general, instead of just a plugin for window players or winamp..ect.?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
DFX - even with its limited control, it's the best free plugins you can add to enhance your audio that I've know so far. And a full version of DFX wont increase the quality as much.

Your sound chip comes with tone control so try accessing the equalizer on that, and player like the WMP or Winamp also comes with EQ.