Help with choosing good home music set up please

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I want to set up a home stereo system at home.

I am thinking about doing it with an iPod and nice speakers or buying a analog tube or solid state power amp/receiver and setting up things with a real record player,cassette player and and maybe an iPod.

I like using my iTouch but I find that music on cds and records and even cassette tapes sound better many times.

I will listen to Jazz(all kinds, especially acid jazz) rock, blues and maybe some pop.

I want that clear analog smooth sound and want to hear all of the sounds of the songs well.
Any suggestions as to what kind of set up would be good?

Solution
I mentioned 5.1 because content is slowly but steadily increasing, plus there's concert dvd's in 5.1 that are coming out too. It's sort of hit or miss as to whether or not it adds anything but I figured I'd toss that in. If anything, you can start with 2 channel and expand in the future if you want.

As I was looking around at AVR's, it's just harder and harder to find a phono input on the less expensive units. I noticed that you wanted to use vinyl so you'll have to get a phono line converter/adapter/preamp or whatever else they are called. Here's an example of one:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-876
It's $50, but one of the cheapest AVR I found with a phono input was $700 (aside from some really old...

ien2222

Distinguished
I'll help start things off :), we need a bit for info from you so here's a few things.

First is, what's the budget. I can recommend an excellent $200,000 system but that might be out of your price range. Sort of think about what the top end is, and where you'd feel most comfortable to be at.

Will this be a strictly 2 channel setup, or are you interested in say 5.1 as well?

Are you fine in using a sub for the low end? And to go with that, is there a preference for bookshelves, or towers? Satellites maybe?

What kind of room do you have? Size of room and pictures if you can would help.

With answers to these we will have a better grasp of where to point you, otherwise it's a shot in the dark and might not fit your needs.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Hello

I will have about 500 dollars to 1000 dollars to spend. The cheaper the better.

I live in a concrete apt building, the walls are thick here, no thin dry wall here, there is some dry wall. The room is about 12'x10' with a connecting room with sliding double doors about 10'x10'(living room and dining room areas).

I dont know if I want 2 channel or 5.1, I know I want good sounds.

Might put speakers in both rooms.

Subs are fine. I dont know if I want bookshelf or towers, growing up my mom had towers with her system.

Please recommend good speaker set ups too.

Riotact007

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
If u have a nome network, get a receiver and speakers in your budget and if u have a laptop with itunes hooked up to it.
Then u can use your iphone etc as a remote control for your songs, volume etc.

ien2222

Distinguished
I mentioned 5.1 because content is slowly but steadily increasing, plus there's concert dvd's in 5.1 that are coming out too. It's sort of hit or miss as to whether or not it adds anything but I figured I'd toss that in. If anything, you can start with 2 channel and expand in the future if you want.

As I was looking around at AVR's, it's just harder and harder to find a phono input on the less expensive units. I noticed that you wanted to use vinyl so you'll have to get a phono line converter/adapter/preamp or whatever else they are called. Here's an example of one:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-876
It's $50, but one of the cheapest AVR I found with a phono input was $700 (aside from some really old model AVR's). Since I'm going to recommend a couple AVR's in the $250-$350 range, even with the extra $50, you will still come out ahead.

The AVR's to look at are the Denon's 1613 and E300, Pioneer's VSX-1022-k (Fry's has the cheapest one btw), Marantz NR1403 or NR1603. The Marantz are there incase you want a slim form factor but they are a little bit more. I'd suggest looking up the different AVR's and reading up on what they offer. From the sound of it, the Pioneer may be the best fit for you since it allows for multi room playback and it's $250 at Fry's. But read up on them and any questions you have come back and ask, more than happy to help explain things.

For speakers, in the budget we're working with I'd suggest going with the Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshelves. Normally they are $130/pr, but they go on sale a lot and currently Best Buy has them on sale for $89/pr. These are an excellent budget speaker and would be worth recommending even if they retail closer to $200/pr.

Glad to here you are ok with subs. A dedicated sub usually does a better job and handling bass than full range speakers. On top of that, the position of your speakers a lot of the time isn't the best place to play the low end, usually there's better spots elsewhere. Because of this, speakers now tend to be designed with the thought that a sub will be used. What you end up doing is having your AVR handle bass management which sends the bass that would normally go to the speakers to the sub instead under a certain crossover point. Just so you know, if you setup a second room, you won't have an output for a sub there so you'll want more full range speakers.

As for a sub recommendation, I'll mention the NXG NX-BAS500 which can be had for around $250. Because you specifically mentioned jazz, I'm staying away from cheaper subs which tend to be less accurate and boomy in certain note ranges, not ideal for jazz or blues for that matter. Here's a review from a person who deals with budget subs as a hobby:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67178-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-review.html
The problem right now is that it's out of stock and I haven't seen anything as to the status of this model.

As another suggestion the SVS SB-1000 which costs $500. This is a solid, accurate sub. It may seem like a lot of money for a sub but it's worth the money even in a budget setup. For accuracy and flat response with the capability to fill somewhat larger rooms, this is the sub that tends to be mentioned as the starting point on the low end of a decent setup. Given that the Pioneer AVR and speakers come to $350-$400, even with this sub you will be at $900, $100 below your max.

It's something to think about, but the NXG isn't a bad choice if you decide to go with that instead.

Any questions, thoughts, concerns, please ask.

Solution
Given your budget I would do stereo. If you can find an old stereo receiver or integrated amp that would be a good start. A new one one of good quality would run maybe $500 and the money is better spent on speakers. If there are any local audio stores near you visit them. They may seem to be way out of your price range but you might be surprised what they might be able to set you up with.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Cool Thank you.

So the recommendations those are solid state AVR's? This will be better than playing music from the computer or iPod right? I want good sound and as close to analog as possible.

I will look into everything.

Thank you. What models or brands should I look for used?