help with cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
First off, here's my laptop
http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&productID=BB19143317&operation=Specs

Whenever I'm just browsing through windows explorer or just searching through files, I notice that my CPU usage can go up to 30-50%. While on Google Chrome, when I'm on for say, Facebook, the usage can go up to 80-90%. Is this normal for my laptop? If it's not I don't know what the issue is. I've scanned my laptop for viruses, defragged my drive, deleted unneeded programs and files.
Also, I've noticed just moving my mouse brings the usage up to 20%.

Thanks for any replies.

Solution
According to the product page that "laptop" has an AMD E-300 which is a dual core CPU based on the above mentioned Bobcat architecture. The reason why I stated "laptop" is because the AMD E-300 is actually targeted for netbooks. I suppose HP wanted to sell a laptop using that low power CPU. The issue is that it is a pretty weak CPU, but it is power efficient.

Unfortunately, I would have to say that that is probably the normal performance of your laptop. I recall reading reviews of the slightly more powerful E-350 CPU (AMD prefers to call them APUs), and it was more or less described as being rather sluggish.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Your processor architecture:

E-Series

» Bobcat microarchitecture
» Mobile CPU
» Single and Dual core
» Up to 1.65 GHz
» Up to 1 MB L2 cache
» No L3 cache
» Integrated graphics

You have a 1.3 Ghz version, but i am not quite sure if it is 1 or 2 core version. If it is the 1 core version then I think it is pretty normal.

P.S Look at your Windows Experience Index (right click on "My Computer" and click "Properties"). And give us the processor model. If it is single core then your CPU should rank around 2.5-3.0 (give or take a few)

2nd P.S The mouse movement causes interrupt instructions to be processed. The phenomenon where the overall system performance is severely hindered by excessive amounts of processing time spent handling interrupts is called an interrupt storm. Such storms may occur if you pair a high pooling rate mouse with a weak CPU. Mouse pulling rates vary from 100 MHz to 1000 MHz. When I used a 100 MHz mouse, my 1st core was jumping to 5/7% (0-3% idle). Now with a 100MHz mouse, when I continuously (and irradically) move the mouse, core 1 goes to 70%. Your 20% taken to handle the mouse+the CPU calculating the browser instructions may lead to full CPU usage.

According to the product page that "laptop" has an AMD E-300 which is a dual core CPU based on the above mentioned Bobcat architecture. The reason why I stated "laptop" is because the AMD E-300 is actually targeted for netbooks. I suppose HP wanted to sell a laptop using that low power CPU. The issue is that it is a pretty weak CPU, but it is power efficient.

Unfortunately, I would have to say that that is probably the normal performance of your laptop. I recall reading reviews of the slightly more powerful E-350 CPU (AMD prefers to call them APUs), and it was more or less described as being rather sluggish.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.