Help with Dell Inspiron 1300 power jack?

lsjinkins

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am trying to replace a broken power jack on a dell Inspiron 1300. A friend completely broke the jack off at the motherboard, and there are 3 prongs still stuck in the MB. I have tried pulling them out, but there is not enough there to grab on to. Any suggestions? I don't want to have to get another MB. Thanks!

frozenlead

Distinguished
You won't be able to pull them out - it's likely you'll break the motherboard that way. You need a desoldering iron (or a soldering iron and a pair of pliers) to get them out an replace it with a new jack.

timothybrockwell

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I am an electronic technician and after checking this power supply out I found that the barrel connector has 3 parts. The inside wall is positive (19volts) the outside is negative and the center pin is not even a volt but does send the signal to tell the laptop to start charging. I disconnected the center pin and the laptop will work while plugged into the wall but will not charge the battery. I normally use a radio shack N connector but since that only has positive and neg. it wont work for these.

If it were my personal laptop I would simply use an external 3 prong connector and let it hang out the back of the laptop and plug it in when I needed to charge it. But since this is a customers PC I will simply resolder the loose jack and return the PC to him. Problem is, this is the 2nd time Ive done it. Im sure it will come loose again. (he has kids and pets that knock the unit around)

There really is no other solution except to find a 3 prong connector that will mound flush to the back of the laptop and cut the cord and fabricate a new 3 prong connector. I am going to look into parts that may be feasable.

Hope this helps.

If you live in Maryland and need your laptops power jack repaired/replaced, please email me at timothybrockwell@yahoo.com

sfpcservice

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
You should be able to find a vendor that sells this exact jack ;-). Most of our customers have little or no soldering experience and are able to complete this repair. I think you'll stand a good chance of saving yourself some money by repairing instead of replacing.