help with Onkyo + ARC setup - mostly working already

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpsonar77

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
I just got a 65uf7700 LG tv. It's connected to an Onkyo TX-NR727 via HDMI.

I have AT&T uverse also connected to the Onkyo.

ARC is enabled in the receiver and the TV, they are connected via HDMI 2/ARC on the LG and Monitor Out on the Onkyo.

Audio from uverse is coming via HDMI into the receiver and works fine on HDMI input 3. Video is working fine.

The issue occurs when I watch apps on the LG. I get audio via ARC, and the onkyo switches to TV/CD. When I'm done watching netflix, for example, the receiver stays in ARC and does not switch back to the uverse input.

I have tried a number of things, all of which have not worked. I know I can plug the uverse box straight into the TV, but then I loose the onkyo OSD, which I want to keep.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to tell the onkyo to passthrough the uverse audio to the TV and then only get it back via ARC?

The receiver automatically switches to the ARC input because of the CEC functioning between the TV and receiver. It doesn't know what you want to switch to when you are done so you have to do it yourself.
It doesn't make sense to pass the audio into the TV and back to the receiver. Either connect all you sources to the receiver and use the monitor out to the TV or connect then all to the TV and use the ARC or optical out to get sound to your receiver. So long as your TV will output in surround sound either is fine.
The only downside is on BD discs that have lossless audio. That can only be set via HDMI and so has to connect to the receiver directly.

simpsonar77

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015

Thanks for the reply!

I am aware of the auto-switching due to CEC. What I'm seeing happen is that either the TV OR the receiver (or both) stay in ARC mode once the tv exits out of neflix/amazon/etc... I feel like it SHOULD send a signal to stop ARC and the receiver could then return to the last used HDMI input, but I guess that's just not how it is now.

As it stands, i can't see anyway around it. I either use ARC and manually change the input back via remote and keep the receiver's OSD, or plug the uverse box into the TV and use ARC, losing the OSD.

I have no problem with my BD player being plugged into the receiver. it works properly.

I'm wondering if a different brand tv (sony/samsung) will act in the exact same way...

simpsonar77

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015

yeah. sounds about right. no matter what, the onkyo will switch to the TV/CD for anything using ARC.

any BD player with CEC enabled should set up the onkyo properly when powered on (if so desired).

No matter what, when exiting the smart apps, the onkyo won't go back to the previous input. This is really either a limitation of the CEC standard(s) or would need to be a firmware update to either the LG or the onkyo to be able to tell the receiver to go to a specific input. would be nice, but I don't expect it to ever happen... :( Looks like when using ARC, there's always going to be a second step IF I want to use the onscreen onkyo display...

Status
Not open for further replies.