Hey, Nokia is Working On a Tablet Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Mojito_619[/nom]The more the competition, the lower the prices...[/citation]

Except for the iPad, the iPad does not compete with the rest of the market...they compete with it...so says Jobs!

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I will also invent a tablet PC, which could be like a punching bag at the same time!

Or one which could be made as a lunch plate.

That is a tablet PC.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
What is with all the Tablets? Do they think these are going to be the future or something? Everyone is all of a sudden pushing one out. Maybe Apple is just driving the market and making the other companies think they'll actually sell.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Nokia is scared shit that the iPad will be the next "big thing". They are so scared of what Steve has done to them with the iPhone they can't use their brains anymore to realize the iPad is a gimmick, a little less than a useful toy (unlike a phone).

Nokia and all others are gonna burn themselves good trying to make an tablet before the time is right. This kind of product won't be successful until it reaches the price of 99$ and you use it to read your morning paper or comics while siting on the toilet. Until then it's just another Apple toy for the apple fanboys.

G

Nokia HQ:

Sir all they did was make a bigger iPhone...... i see, you want me to get the plans for one of our touch screen phones plonk it on the photocopier and set it to 400%...... you also want us to buy a trademarked name for an electronic feminine hygiene product too..... Hogwarts sir???....

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Tablets will serve a purpose, although not right away. In a few years, students will carry a tablet instead of a backpack full of textbooks. Doctors and nurses will carry a tablet instead of a clipboard. We will do most of our reading on a tablet, whether it be books, news, or periodicals. Tablets will be what keeps us connected rather than phones.

That being said, the current tablets are nowhere near being ready for this. The only one that I have seen that shows some promise is the Microsoft Courier. The iPad is too big to easily carry around, and far too expensive for mass use. The Courier is closer to pocketable, and will fit into a purse, brief case, backpack much easier than the iPad. While I might like the iPad format as a stationary tool (next of my chair in the livingroom, for example), I just don't see it as practical as a go everywhere device.

I would also never buy a device that is "locked in" the way Apple does devices. Android is not much better. While it may be based on open source, it is still Google, and I don't like anyone reading over my shoulder. The Moblin devices would be more to my taste.

G

iPad might have bad hardware, lack of expandability and appealing aerodynamic sexiness to those who likes to eat their hot dog from the sides and throws away the middle but after you look beyond that you will realize it's the apps that is going to make iPad great not iPad itself.

G

"In a few years, students will carry a tablet instead of a backpack full of textbooks. Doctors and nurses will carry a tablet instead of a clipboard. We will do most of our reading on a tablet, whether it be books, news, or periodicals. Tablets will be what keeps us connected rather than phones."

HAHAHA. Dude. 1991 called. It wants its tablet hype back.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
"1991 called?"

OK, I'll bite. Just what kind of tablet could we have had based on 80486 technology with a CRT based screen?

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The only thing that I look forward to is a portable battery operated larger display. I actually loaded tv episodes on my cell phone via a transflash. Really handy when you are stuck waiting. The only drawback was the screen size, and the Bluetooth headset. I think that itpro hit the nail on the head.

"The iPad is too big to easily carry around, and far too expensive for mass use."

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]Tablets will serve a purpose, although not right away. In a few years, students will carry a tablet instead of a backpack full of textbooks.[/citation]

Ah, you mean like I have been doing for the past 4 years. True, I have to digitize my own books because no one else was doing it, but hey... sometimes I just cheat, snap a few photos, make it a pdf, then print it out to Windows Journal. Delete at the end of the semester and sell the book back. Voila! Instant back pain relief for me... and I have my notes in there too. Calc, chem, physics... I watch all the students use notepads or a laptops with notepads because they can't write chemical structures, integrals, or vector equations without inking capabilities.

[citation]Doctors and nurses will carry a tablet instead of a clipboard.[/citation]

Hmmm... you mean they'll be using models like what Motion Computing has been making and marketing to health care for quite a while? Heck, they even make rugged outdoor models for construction supervisors to use on-site.

[citation]We will do most of our reading on a tablet, whether it be books, news, or periodicals. Tablets will be what keeps us connected rather than phones. That being said, the current tablets are nowhere near being ready for this...[/citation]

I am interested to keep an eye on the development of the Que. PlasticLogic's plastic screen is a true revolution in my opinion - would you slam a boot onto the screen of your Kindle, iPhone type device, or laptop screen? You could with a plastic screen. Too bad they only have black and white so far... but they are working on color. It will depend on the economic viability for the higher priced Que.

However, I am not sure how the phone thing would work out with a tablet form factor. I have some ideas on making an omni-device, but really you can't integrate a phone into a tablet. Most people want something to hold to their ear, and something that fits in a pocket.

However, from my first two responses, I have to say I find that tablets are already hear. Like Apple products, they are working well in their respective niche markets. I love tablet pcs, so I've researched them and discovered these markets. Have you ever done so? From your comments, it seems like you haven't - but you may truly consider these products mentioned inferior in some way.

Either way, your future is actually the past, and poor marketing has meant no one knows about it.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
MDillenbeck, your point is well taken, but your examples are the exception rather than the rule. Yes, I have worked with Tablet PCs and a variety of touch and hand held devices. I installed some of the first tablets in medical offices, but their poor battery life, heavy weight, and limited touch features made them awkward to use.

While the technology has been around for many years, it has not been mature enough to be useful. Sure, one could cobble something together, but nothing that was suitable for mass use. The iPad is an improvement, but still not there for most of us.

What do I want? I want a device that is more portable, preferably folded to protect the screen. I want a device with connectivity: USB and a SD card port at the least. I want a camera, so that the device can be used for video chatting and image capture. I want wireless connectivity for peripherals like keyboards, headsets, and printers. I want an open and varied source of software, not a locked down, single source app store. I want dual screens. I want it to fit in a big pocket, and I want it all for under $100.

When you have that, then the future will truly be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.