Hi how do I make my SD card my internal storage device for my Samsung galaxy ON5 and my android version is 6.0.1

Adamantine22

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I have tried to copy files in the file manager to my SD card but even after that nothing works how do I make the SD card my primary storage and be able to download apps straight to my SD card

Solution
Well if you are actually using "Marshmallow", which it sounds like you are, then the only thing that would prevent you from making the SD card "Internal" rather than "External" storage is if the manufacturer has restricted that option on this device. Which, so you know, can happen.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
Well if you are actually using "Marshmallow", which it sounds like you are, then the only thing that would prevent you from making the SD card "Internal" rather than "External" storage is if the manufacturer has restricted that option on this device. Which, so you know, can happen.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution

twoc

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I just got Marshmallow on Tab S and someone in this other thread said this location also works for them for On5.
Settings > Applications > Internet > Advanced > Save content to

See this for more details:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2791704/set-default-download-location-external-card-samsung-galaxy-tab.html#18710192

Note: actually this doesn't download from Google Play onto the SD card, only things using the Internet. But if you install the app called AppMgr III then it has a setting that can prompt you to move an app to SD card. This only works after the app is installed and not every app can be on the SD card. Also, it splits the app; some of the app will need to be on the device but moving it usually reduces 50% or more of the size. The bad thing is that you have to do it one file at a time, but I cleared a lot of data from my device this way.

I think that Android can't access the SD card as primary storage but there are some hacks with rooted phones. And the SD card is much slower than the internal memory. The first thing I would do is to use AppMgr III or a similar app that can help you to know which apps can move to the SD card.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=move2sd&c=apps

cmel0218

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

I'm trying this now & the only options available after sd card are 'format as portable storage' or 'Unmount'.

truelover8288

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Hey everybody my name is Jay and I have the same problem what my memory storage on my Samsung on5 but I found a solution in your Google App Store download file to SD card that app lets you transfer everything from your internal two external!!!hope dis was helpful too many with the same problem

May 29, 2018

Hi Jay, what's the name of the app that allows to make that transfer?

Aug 11, 2018
I appreciate your respond but actually i have the sd card in storage in the settings but when i press sd card it shows me only format and unmount there is no three dots on top right!!

Sep 14, 2018
Open to command prompt in windows
Go to the directory where "adb.exe" is located as follows.
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
then type "adb shell"
Then you would see something like this
shell@grandpplte:/ $
That means you have successfully load the android debugging bridge.
If you get an error, most probably you might not have given access for USB debugging in your android phone. So go to developer options in your android phone and turn it on.

If you have got "shell@grandpplte:/ $" type below commands without missing a single letter.
Type - sm list-disks
Then you'll get somethng like "disk:179,128"
It is your disk name (You will get something different than this ex:- "disk:xxx,xxx")
Type - set-force-adoptable true
Type - sm partition disk:179,128 mixed 50
(In here if you want to make your sd card into a 100% internal memory, you must type "private" instead of "mixed 50". As well as "mixed 50" means partition size in a ratio.
You also can chage it as you wish.)
Type - sm set-force-adoptable false
Type - Reboot
Once yor device rebooted, go to the storage setings and slect migrate data.
Now you are done.
Thank you

Oct 7, 2018

In Step 2 on the Galaxy On5, there is no "three-dot menu" to tap.
In Step 3 on the Galaxy On5, there is no “Format as internal”