Hi Res Audiophile External Sound Cards or Audio Interface For Music on Mac

Seabass101

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi, I have a budget of $200 and wanted to ask what is the best high-res external USB soundcard or Audio Interface to buy for a old Mac to sound better? I listen to high-res 192khz/24bit music. I have looked at the Shiit Modi Multibit, is that a good buy for external soundcards or is there something better?

Thanks

Comments much appreciated

Solution
The Schitt is very good in that price range. An external DAC is almost always better than a soundcard for music since just getting the DAC out of the PC isolates it from noise. If you can go to $300 the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic is good. If you want an MQA DAC the Meridian Explorer2 is in the $300 range too.
The Schitt is very good in that price range. An external DAC is almost always better than a soundcard for music since just getting the DAC out of the PC isolates it from noise. If you can go to $300 the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic is good. If you want an MQA DAC the Meridian Explorer2 is in the $300 range too.

Solution

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
The modi is just a DAC, you'll need an amp to actually power the headphones correctly. I'd recommend the modi 2 and magni 2. Depending on which headphones you have, you also may want to look at the vali 1 if tube amps are your thing.