Hi there, need help finding out if these are false positives or not

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Last night I opened google chrome and avast said it blocked a malicious link as soon as I opened it. I noticed one of my addons to block bit coin mining was greyed out and so I uninstalled it from chrome and found that it was the culprit (I wish I could remember the name for the life of me, next time if something like that happens I’ll make sure to check what the name is).

Just to be safe I decided to use process explorer to see if anything was running in the background (I had already scanned with Zemana portable, hitmanpro, Emsisoft toolkit, malwarebytes anti rootkit and kaspersky tdsskiller cause I get easily paranoid. Non of them found anything at all, but I decided to be safe) and I noticed that virus total flagged 2 things.

VLC was flagged 1/66 and the av that seems to not like them is something called jiangmin.

Then the other I noticed was winlogin.exe was flagged 1/65 and I was like what the hell? I checked the location and t said system 32, my system isn’t do anything out of the ordinary and so I was like huh???

The av that doesn’t like it seems to be called cylance.

I looked up both of these av programs but couldn’t find much.

I get very paranoid about malware and viruses. I’m always afraid even if all my scanners find nothing that there is something lurking I don’t know about. But please tell me these are false positives right?

Thank you for the help.

Solution
there are numerous processes flagged by 1/65the of VT, I"d not worry about it if that is the only concern otherwise...; if you have a process that disappears when you open task manager, no company signature, mysterious name, encrypted 55/65 detections...time to worry!

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Are you running dozens or anti-viral programs? These are probably fighting each other. I don't know where you got Jiangmin and Cylance but they are not typical virus detectors and I think you should not continue their use.

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I don’t use them. Process explorer has the option to submit hashes to virustotal of everything running on the system. Those are the 2 av programs that virustotal is telling me don’t like vlc and winlogin.exe

The only antivirus I use is avast free and that is doing real time protection. The scanners I have are just on demand/second opinion scanners and don’t do real time protection.

mdd1963

Distinguished
there are numerous processes flagged by 1/65the of VT, I"d not worry about it if that is the only concern otherwise...; if you have a process that disappears when you open task manager, no company signature, mysterious name, encrypted 55/65 detections...time to worry!

Solution