Hijackers Take Over Hundreds of Facebook Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Well, another case of the usual user problem, not Facebook.

I hope this does help people about the issue at hand though.

Will they get sued? The plot thickens... =P

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Someone could have real fun with this.

I don't remember becoming a fan of "being a butt pirate". I was a fan of being a pirate. Now my 800 friends that I've never met are gonna make fun of me.

ubertiger

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
It is a facebook problem, because they're the ones who are going to be sued by some douche when this actually and some controversy is caused. It seems like a simple stupid security loophole to do with group and admin rights. The admin's shouldn't be allowed to leave a group without appointing someone else to takeover unless the shut the whole thing down. That's kinda common sense, you wouldn't let the leader of any other group/society in real life leave without appointing someone to takeover. There'd be anarchy...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First off, its stupid to have a Facebook account, period. That said, imagine if someone took over your "I Love Puppies" group, and renamed it "I Strangle Puppies". Then imagine your boss, or a potential employer, happens upon your facebook page, and doesn't think its very funny you support puppy strangling. You could lose a job or be denied a new job, all because you couldn't resist the sirens call to be part of something stupid on the internet. Was friending a bunch of people you haven't seen since highschool really worth it at that point?

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]Well, another case of the usual user problem, not Facebook.I hope this does help people about the issue at hand though.Will they get sued? The plot thickens... =P[/citation]
Facebook should have better rules regarding admin rights of a group.
Otherwise, see ubertiger's comment...
But I dont't use it, so I don't care.

Cmhone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
Right on Hellwig; a co-worker's niece is in danger of losing her scholarship because of what she put out on the internet. It was a Myspace page, but the point is still the same.

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Cmhone[/nom]Right on Hellwig; a co-worker's niece is in danger of losing her scholarship because of what she put out on the internet. It was a Myspace page, but the point is still the same.[/citation]
Meanwhile, the people currently working at screwing her out of a scholarship are likely doing things just as bad, or worse, if the behavior in question was even reprehensible at all to begin with.

It's a wonderful world!

MountainFlip

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
This is an easy fix for Facebook.

If Group admin leaves the group, then the new group admin will be granted to the senior member.

(Senior member = member with earliest join date)

Issue resolved.

AW-Levi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I guess they should have seen this coming. And the shameful thing is that there wasn't any hacking, just a simple trick. Simple, refined and of course unexpected.
But luckily there is a fix to every problem. That is until something else will happen. :(

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]First off, its stupid to have a Facebook account, period. That said, imagine if someone took over your "I Love Puppies" group, and renamed it "I Strangle Puppies". Then imagine your boss, or a potential employer, happens upon your facebook page, and doesn't think its very funny you support puppy strangling. You could lose a job or be denied a new job, all because you couldn't resist the sirens call to be part of something stupid on the internet. Was friending a bunch of people you haven't seen since highschool really worth it at that point?[/citation]

That's why you don't add your boss or work colleagues on Facebook.

There's no medal for having a massive "friend" count, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.