Hollywood Hiring Cyber Hitmen To Combat Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
This is going to piss a lot of people, including a lot of other hackers, what are they thinking? Wasn't hacking a crime? Are They going to let them do it?

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Using a DoS attack on someone elses server should fall under cyber crime/war/terrorism protection. If fox has that done to a server based in the US i hope a cyber defense unit will shoves a nuke up their asses to stop them from committing felonies to stop misdemeanors.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I am fairly sure vigilante justice is still illegal. If your neighbor steals your lawn mower, you are NOT allowed to go over to his house and shoot him (though, in some states, you might get away with it if you caught him on your property stealing it).

Still, is this an Indian firm attacking sites based in India, cause I have no idea what the laws are like there. If this is an Indian firm attacking sites based in other countries, that borders on international crime. Still, I don't think too many torrent sites are hosted in the U.S. so I really don't know what law would apply here. I would like to think that no one would be allowed to do this in the U.S. (hopefully).

G

So, let me get this straight... A criminal act of cyber-terrorism is OK because an agent of a rights-holder claims (but has not proven the claim to any legitimate judicial body in any country or jurisdiction) that you are infringing... I hope these guys annoy the 4chan folks, because a reverse DDNS attack that cripples a large chunk of the Indian local internet (which is, in theory, the largest democracy in the world) would be unfortunate... But, very, very funny.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Uh, would this be considered a declaration of war? Cause if so the crackers and maybe even some of the hackers out there are going to have a field day the movie industry. Just a thought.

sentinelcomputers

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
First of all, I assume you mean a DDoS attack. A simple DoS attack would be ineffective and almost immediately dealt with by the server's firewall.

Second, a DDoS originating from a particular geographic region is almost as easy to block and would simply result in huge blocks of IP addresses belonging to Indian service providers being blocked.

The only way to launch an effective DDoS is to use a botnet with a large geographic distribution. However, this is highly illegal on many levels. Not only are you engaging in an attack which violates federal, state and local laws, you are also illegally comandeering and using computing resources belonging to countless private citizens, business, and even government entities (each of which is a separate charge of illegally accessing a computer).

Suffice it to say, this is the most illconceived idea I've heard of in a LONG time.

The BIGGEST problem in cyber security is not, as you might think, how to deal with cyber threats, but something called: attribution. In simple terms... who is responsible. If you own up to doing something like this, it would be like posting on Facebook that you intend to rob a bank because they short-changed you.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I think this story is kind of neat and inspirational, imagine having that job, sounds like fun. AS long as what they are doing in India or other countries is within the law more power to them.

Someone needs to start fighting these kinds of issues and why not start by dishing out a little vigilante justice?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Someone needs to start fighting these kinds of issues and why not start by dishing out a little vigilante justice?[/citation]

Breaking the law to preserve the law undermines the rule of law.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]Breaking the law to preserve the law undermines the rule of law.[/citation]

Well yu must not have read what I wrote because it clearly says "if it is WITHIN THE LAW"

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Well yu must not have read what I wrote because it clearly says "if it is WITHIN THE LAW"[/citation]

And if you read the part of your posting that I included, you would understand why I took exception.

"why not start by dishing out a little vigilante justice?"

Vigilante justice is comprised of actions taken outside the law.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Hollywood now considers itself a global power to attack the internet? I don't think so. At least not for the next couple of elections anyway.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I am not sure that these companies know what they are getting into. The private cyber community is much larger then couple of companies trying to do this. All I can say is let the games begin!! ;D

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
good job hollywoood.got your head up your butt here.declare war on the internet and you will be the one who is sorry in the end.

get ready to hack away hackers of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.